water color

Jul 16, 2009
topics merged by Moderator - MikeInTN

i started working on the algae yesterday following the directions on this forum..kept the fc up to shock levels all day and most of the night....well i wake up and our pool is milky blue green (instead of swamp like green)...which as far as i can tell is a good sign...well i start to brush the pool and i have pockets of algae surface at various parts of the pool turning these areas back to the swamp like green i despise. is this normal?

how's it looking

this is after about 2.5 days of shocking does it look like i am on track? i have a triton sand filter and am using bbb. still cant see the bottom but big difference in color.

Attachments

• pool pic 1.jpg
    pool pic 1.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 424
Re: how's it looking

You need to keep your posts together, searching through your other posts is a pain.

In one of your other threads post134777.html#p134777 you say you are shocking but you have not posted a current set of test results( I may have missed it, that is why you need to keep everything in the same thread), are you shocking at a high enough level? No one knows without your CYA level.

To post a NOW pic without a BEFORE pic & before & after test results means nothing.

You should read this link in pool school pool-school/read_before_you_post

I will venture a WAG and say that the color looks good and if you began with green, well, there is no green there now. So, keep it up and let that filter get it clear.

Bob_Funk said:
You need to keep your posts together, searching through your other posts is a pain.

In one of your other threads post134777.html#p134777 you say you are shocking but you have not posted a current set of test results( I may have missed it, that is why you need to keep everything in the same thread), are you shocking at a high enough level? No one knows without your CYA level.

To post a NOW pic without a BEFORE pic & before & after test results means nothing.

You should read this link in pool school pool-school/read_before_you_post
sorry for posting incorrectly i will do better next time thank you for the links

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

anonapersona said:
I will venture a WAG and say that the color looks good and if you began with green, well, there is no green there now. So, keep it up and let that filter get it clear.
thank you i have been working hard for the last few days hopefully the work will pay off

i will post test results tomorrow...one more question hopefully someone can help...after the water first changed color from swamp green to blue green i had about 1.5 feet of visibility in the shallow end after i brushed the water got more cloudy and visibility went to about 6 inches and i noticed small white particles floating on top of the pool and in the water is this dead algae or something else?

The floating stuff is more than likely dead algae. It can take several day up and including 2 weeks or more ( dep ending on how bad your algae was) to get your pool cleared up. Its not going to happen over night as you have seen.

Brush the pool as often as you can, run your filter 24/7 and keep your FC up to shock level and it will clear up. If you have 2 returns you might consider putting your pool cleaner in to help vacuum up the algae.

Have patience your pool will clear up ...

baylorbeargp said:
i will post test results tomorrow...one more question hopefully someone can help...after the water first changed color from swamp green to blue green i had about 1.5 feet of visibility in the shallow end after i brushed the water got more cloudy and visibility went to about 6 inches and i noticed small white particles floating on top of the pool and in the water is this dead algae or something else?

Floating stuff, whatever it is, can often be collected in a skimmer sock. Options are the sort from the pool store or Walmart (if available there) or a cheap Knee-Hi stocking. I use the 5 pack sort from Pool Warehouse Supply but there are other brands.

Meanwhile, brushing is a GOOD thing. That extra cloudynes is the dead algae, brushed loose from the surfaces. Brushing is really important since living algae can be lurking, alive and reproducing, underneath the shell of dead algae. So, you have to break that dead stuff loose and let the chlorine get to whatever might have been below. All that junk in the water is now where the filter can clear it away, so do pay attention to the filter pressure and clean/backwash as needed, no more no less. If you can vac to waste, then you can also let it settle to the bottom and try to remove it that way. But, the filter is really what will catch the most of it I think.

thank you everyone for your responses i have been putting a lot of concentrated effort in this and the pool has come a long way from where it started...i was just wanting to make sure i was on the right track and it looks like i am thanks again everyone

baylorbeargp said:
has anyone used this product: http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... First-Aid/ and does anyone think it will help in my situation...i used it to get motor oil out of the pool earlier this year and it worked great

You know, the whole idea behind what goes on in this forum is that, well, we don't believe in "pixiey dust". There is no Magic Stuff out there that will solve all the problems.

If you have some idea of what is in this stuff, then perhaps we can discuss why those particular things may or may not help.

The pros here will patiently discuss why flocculents may or may not be helpful, sometimes they are sometimes they are not. Enzymes may or may not be helpful, certainly when you have oil products that would be helpful, but it sure does not sound like you have anything more than regular run of the mill algae. Mostly dead at this point.

I have no idea what else may be in that stuff, and I suspect that you don't either. In any case, from that last photo it sure looks to me like the green is gone and all you have is dead algae to get filtered out.

Actually, what you need now is POP. Not available in the local store, but you can find it if you look around, your friends here will help you. It is more commonly known as Pool Owner Patience, one one hand, priceless, and at the same time, a renewable resource.

So, keep up the chlorine, tend to the filter and I'll bet that by tomorrow you will see a step or two emerge from the clouds. A day more and you'll probably see to the bottom. Another day or two and the pool will sparkle and shimmer in the sun and you will be so happy.

Hang in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.