Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool light GFI keeps tripping

Pool light GFI keeps tripping

Have a Hayward pool and spa light assemblies w/ Polaris LED and the GFI keeps tripping. If I reset the GFI and only turn the spa light on the spa light will work but if I turn the pool light on the GFI trips and both the spa and pool light go off. I took apart the pool light and bulb is good and no water in the housing. I clear caulked around the cord into the light housing thinking some water might be coming in thu their. Seems that worked for about a week and now it is again tripping the GFI when pool light comes on. Any other ideas?
    Pool build 2006.
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Maxi-therm 400K propane heater, Jandy aquapure1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

Re: Pool light GFI keeps tripping

Sounds like you have a bad cable to the pool light. You will probably have to replace all of the wiring back to the switch.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

GFCI is a safety device to prevent you from operating unsafe electrical wiring. In this case I agree with the above post. The cable/connection to the pool light has most likely been compromised and will need replacing to stay water free.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280 with SELF-PRIMING pump, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG LAARS, DelOzone 1gm CD ozonator, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

We had a similar problem with the lights on our Pool/Spa. This was on a brand new pool. The pool builder checked everything, and even a Pentair rep couldn't find the problem. They finally changed the GFCI breaker and that fixed the problem. I guess the old breaker just wasn't working properly. You might want to try that first since its a relatively inexpensive fix.
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

Quote Originally Posted by Woodberg
    We had a similar problem with the lights on our Pool/Spa. This was on a brand new pool. The pool builder checked everything, and even a Pentair rep couldn't find the problem. They finally changed the GFCI breaker and that fixed the problem. I guess the old breaker just wasn't working properly. You might want to try that first since its a relatively inexpensive fix.

Definitely agree - I require both hands (and possibly one of my feet) to count the multiple times I've had faulty GFIs send me down hours of troubleshooting - only to find out the issue was with the GFI. Buy a GOOD one and pay the money for it.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

The GFCI could be bad, however the orginal posted stated that with just the spa light on, the GFCI did not trip. This tends to indicate to me that the GFCI is not bad.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

If it was a faulty GFI wouldn't just turning the spa light on also trip it? It's only tripping when the pool light goes on and not tripping with just the spa light. Thanks
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Maxi-therm 400K propane heater, Jandy aquapure1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

Will the pool light stay on, if you turn that on, without turning on the spa light.
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

Quote Originally Posted by frankthailand
    Will the pool light stay on, if you turn that on, without turning on the spa light.

No it will trip the GFI. If I only turn the spa light on it will stay on, but if I then turn on the pool light on it will trip the GFI and both lights will go off.

Hi all,

i have a similar problem in that the spa light only would trip the gfi, and then eventually the main pool light as well. Without the pool lights on the gfi would reset, but the second you tried to turn any on, it would trip. i replaced the gfi to no avail.

today i removed both lights from the pool (water is still in the pool), extended the housings and cords out of the pool, removed the light bulbs, turned the cb on, and attempted to reset the gfi to no avail again. the gfi refuses to reset.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!

Most likely a problem in the cable somewhere. Did you check the junction box?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Dear Bama,

I was hoping it wasn't the cable, but that's what I'm starting to think. I haven't checked the box yet but will start with that today and hopefully get some good news there. Thanks for the reply!

Billy
    30'x50' kidney w/ spa. 1.5hp and 2hp pool and polaris pump, 30" hayward sand filter with zeosand

I had the same exact problem a couple of years ago, and it drove me nuts. Turns out the problem was in the junction box. The putty which seals the conduit as it enters the box was old and cracked. Let just enough moisture in the junction box to give the gfi a sense that water was part of the circuit.

I think it is flexible duct sealant, or something similar. A Home Depot item.
    Mike

9500 gallon plaster/gunite pool w/waterfall, 1/2 HP 1sp pump, 120 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 336 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panels, CPSC16 SWG, Boratized

It would also be a good idea to check any connections starting at the GFCI and working out to the pool.

Electrical connections, wire nuts, or wires under any screws, (such as where they connect to the breaker), can loosen over time, or where wirenuts are used they can collect moisture and corrode.

For everyone, when you open your pool each year or at the start of the swimming season it would be a good idea to go thru the system and make sure all connections are tight and dry with no corrosion, and make sure all outdoor enclosures are still properly sealed and no leaking gaskets.

Loose screws or wire nut connections can cause a circuit to draw too many amps, this can be a royal pain to track down also.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

That reminds me that I also made a new gasket for the junction box (out of silicone).
    Mike

9500 gallon plaster/gunite pool w/waterfall, 1/2 HP 1sp pump, 120 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 336 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panels, CPSC16 SWG, Boratized

Samantha, Bama, Magnew,

Checked the JB and all looks well there, however it appears the switched spa light hot wire has 3.4-3.6 volts on it without the spa light on. when i turn the spa light on, the gfi trips.

Quote Originally Posted by viprjr@yahoo.com
    Samantha, Bama, Magnew,

Checked the JB and all looks well there, however it appears the switched spa light hot wire has 3.4-3.6 volts on it without the spa light on. when i turn the spa light on, the gfi trips.
    Is that 3.4-3.6 volts on the spa light side of the switch while the switch is off?

If so then I would suspect moisture in that switch.

Also, have you tried disconnecting the wires from the spa light itself and putting wire nuts on each one for safety, and then trying to turn the power on and see is it trips the GFCI?

If it still trips with the light out of the circuit, try disconnecting the wires from the switch to the light and check again, if it trips the GFCI with the wire to the light disconnected then that narrows things down quite a bit.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

You measured the 3 VAC between the spa light hot and a known good ground?

With the circuit breaker off and the pool light switch on and spa light switch off measure resistance between the hot and earth ground. A resistance of 48k or less will cause the GFCI to trigger. You should find resistance is infinite. If you find you have some resistance here you have to isolate areas of the circuit until you find the leakage area.

The GFCI breaker is looking to see if the current flowing through the hot wire(s) are within 2.5 mA of the current flowing back through the neutral wire(s) in the circuit. If more than 2.5 mA difference exists the GFCI will trip because it knows the current is leaking to ground or potentially through a human body to ground.