New Pool with Nutgrass growing through liner

Jun 9, 2009
Huntsville, AL
Hi,
When we had the pool insalled last month the installer recommended spraying the area with nutgrass killer so we did. Even taking all that precaution, yesterday while swimming I noticed two places on the cove where nutgrass had grown through. I didn't pull them yet until I could ask the experts here how to handle this situation.
So should I go ahead and pull them out of the liner and put a patch over them? I'm afraid they well just grow back through the patch.
Or should I spray the area with more killer and let them die without pulling them?

Anyone else had this proble and how did you resolve it?

Thanks,
YBnormal...have a pool

I'm guessing that the grass is somehow growing between the cove and the actual liner... I know the grass is tough, but I can't imagine it is actually pushing through the vinyl... or is it?

Anyway, maybe if you post a pic it would help folks diagnose. Have you talked with your installer yet?

Regarding nutgrass elimination, there's a product, SedgeHammer, that is effective and won't kill your lawn. I think it works better than RoundUp.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't want to pull it out and leave the hole without a patch in hand. I think I will try as suggested and try to inject some herbicide through the rocks and under the liner to kill it before I pull it out, otherwise it will just grow back through.

Thanks,
YBnormal...have a pool

You can use a pump sprayer. Be sure to get pre-emergent herbicide that is stated for nutsedge. Just take a rod and make a hole in the ground angled under the pool and stick the nozzle in it, and saturate the ground good. You'll need to do that many places around the pool. Then just patch the holes after the grass dies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.