Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: scaling & acid wash quesiton

1. Back To Top    #1

Northbrook, Illinois

scaling & acid wash quesiton

So, I was previously having trouble with chemicals. That is all fixed for the most part. The TA was high (180) for a while and it looks like we now have scaling at the bottom of our pool in the deep end. At least that is what the pool guy said when I had him come out to look at it. Also, from other questions and photos people have posted of scaling mine looks very similar. The pool guy recommended acid wash.

My question is what if I leave the scaling? If I make sure the TA and pH stay stable and the scaling doesn't get worse. Will it hurt the plaster to leave the scaling?

Is that terrible? It doesn't look so bad and I think I'm the only one who really even noticed it. I really really don't want to empty the pool to do acid wash. We just did that a few months ago to lower the CYA.

I know this is such a stupid question b/c anyone and everyone probably would not leave scaling - I suppose it's like leaving mold around your bathtub or something like that. I don't know.

25x15 ft; 11,200 gal; indoor/in ground; plaster (redone 2006); cartridge filter; +40 years old original with the house;
    pool has a cover and we cover the pool half way b/c when it is covered all the way our numbers get screwed up;we don't use the pool very often; only indirect sunlight; Chicago area

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: scaling & acid wash quesiton

Leaving the scaling is fine. The main issues are that it doesn't always look very good and it can be rough on your feet (which probably doesn't matter on the bottom of the deep end). Occasionally the rough surface is slightly more attractive to algae as a place to grow, but that shouldn't be a problem if you maintain proper FC levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School