Any risks to upgrading motor size?

May 27, 2009
Louisville, KY
I've got an inground pool that's somewhere around 16,500 gallons and currently running with a Hayward Super II, 3/4 HP pump. I'm pretty sure the motor's dead and I was looking to replace it myself. I've been told I need to move up to at least a 1 HP motor... But then the stories start changing - one guy tells me I can drop it in, same impeller and everything will be fine.. another tells me I'd need a new impeller and I'd do better just replacing the entire pump.

Can anyone set me straight?

If I try to drop a 1 HP motor in place of a 3/4 HP motor, do I need to change/upgrade/swap anything else in the process?

Thanks!

Thanks for the helpful info guys!

I may have dodged the bullet for now - looks like the motor wasn't wired in as well as it should have been, one of the wires had worked it way off the lead. Everything's up and running for the moment... Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.