Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Allergic reactions to something in the bbb method?

1. Back To Top    #1

Allergic reactions to something in the bbb method?

We recently switched over to the bbb method and I LOVE IT... My pool hasn't been this clear in years...

Last week my sister and her son (5 yrs old) came swimming and she calls the next morning saying he woke up during the night with a stuffy nose and sore throat and the next morning his lips were swollen. Could he be allergic to something in the water? We added borates about 3 weeks ago, but other than that we just add the bleach on a daily basis, keeping the FC level between 5-8.

He's been swimming in our pool for years and never had a problem, and my kids are swimming daily and they haven't had any problems...

Anyone else experience anything like this.
    18x36 IG vinyl liner, sand filter, approx 26500 gals, Aquabot pool cleaner
    Loving my pool, thanks to the BBB method :)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: Allergic reactions to something in the bbb method?

maybe he got water in his ears and is getting an infection, ear nose and throat are all connected.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Allergic reactions to something in the bbb method?

See this link for a table that distinguishes a sensitivity to chemicals vs. a bacterial infection though this applies more to rashes.

Given the normal incubation time for bacterial infections and viruses, it's most likely he caught a cold prior to using the pool and that this was a coincidence. It is possible that he got water in the ear to potentially exacerbate the problem if it's a bacterial infection. You can read more about Swimmer's Ear here, though what you described sounds more like a common cold.

I know for myself when I track when I could have possibly gotten a cold (mostly by being exposed to someone who has a cold) that it takes at least 12+ hours and usually a day before what I would consider exposure until feeling a very slight tingling in the throat. For me, taking a zinc capsule seems to often stop things at that point, though this does not work for everyone. If the cold progresses, it doesn't erupt into the classic more sore throat and stuffy or runny nose until 2-3 days after exposure.

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"