New to BBB; pH problem after adding borax

lilredhen

Jul 29, 2009
Northern California
Since I've switched to BBB method things have been going along well. The pool is beautiful and the kids are having their friends over again! However, I have some questions about pH.

I treated with borax, adding 1/2 last night and 1/2 the night before. 19 boxes borax and 5 1/2 gal MA in total. So yesterday morning the pH was only off by a little, but this morning's acid demand test called for a gallon of MA. I added that early, then by noon tested again and it called for another 2 1/2 qt! How is it I'm needing so much acid? I know I used the right amount with the borax.

Today's test results:
FC 7
CC 0
CH 250
TA 120

Last week:
CH 140
TA 80
CYA 70

The pH is too high to measure. I added 25 lb calcium chloride the night before the borax, if that makes any difference. Did the borax cause this rise in my TA? Is the higher TA what's giving me trouble with the pH?

I've been reading BBB for Beginners. The thing I don't understand about lowering my TA is this. Why do I aerate to raise my pH? That's what my whole problem is!

Help?

Jill

well, I definitely wouldn't have had two things going on at once, but it's a moot point now.
I can't explain your TA rise or ph demand, but it's definitely abnormal for a "normal" (following waterbear's instructions) borate addition.
did you buy a specific calcium increaser product? if so, what was it called?
as far as lowering TA, you should read this article: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
you aerate to make lowering TA faster because you lower your ph to around 7.0 with acid, then aerate to make the ph rise faster, then add acid again. the acid additions are what lowers the TA. generally, ph rise is on the slow side, so you aerate to speed it up, add acid again (which lowers the TA some more) to get the ph back down to 7.0 and repeat until you reach your ideal levels.
you should focus on your ph right now, not your TA. just make sure you TA doesn't get way too low with all that acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you used 14.5% muriatic acid when you added the borates you didn't add anywhere near enough.

19 boxes of Borax with 5.5 gallons of muriatic acid is based on 31.45% muriatic acid. You will need to add almost twice that much if you are using 14.5%.

Get that pH in check quickly.

lilredhen said:
It says Hydrogen Chloride 14.5%

From Lowe's

That's about half the strength of what I usually buy at Lowe's. I buy the 31.45% stuff (20 Baume), usually located over in the paint aisle. That may be why you're having to use so much. BTW, Jason's pool calculator has a field in the pH calculation where you can choose the strength of the acid you're using so it'll calculate the correct amount for the given strength.

Cleavitt said:
19 boxes of Borax with 5.5 gallons of muriatic acid is based on 31.45% muriatic acid. You will need to add almost twice that much if you are using 14.5%.
A bit more than twice as much, actually, I make it a grand total of about 11.75 gallons (so 6.25 more).
MikeInTN said:
Jason's pool calculator has a field in the pH calculation where you can choose the strength of the acid you're using so it'll calculate the correct amount for the given strength.
Only in the pH section, not in the borates section. I see a feature request coming...
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.