Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Comparison of Clorox and Walmart's Great Value Bleach

Comparison of Clorox and Walmart's Great Value Bleach

Bought at the same busy Walmart with fast bleach turnover.

Clorox Reg.- pH 11.98, NaOCl = 6.5%
    Great Value - pH 12.28, NaOCl = 5.65%
    AGP partially buried, with surrounding deck and flower bed. 12 x 24 oval x 48" deep Celebration by Forum. Steel sides, vinyl liner. Hayward 2 HP sand pump. Flower fountain - works well to cool water up to 10 degrees.

Re: Comparison of Clorox and Walmart's Great Value Bleach

while interesting, your sampling is very small. but if one took it at face value you would have to figure out the cost differences between clorox and great value and see if that 0.85 difference makes it worth it to buy clorox instead. also, I believe the excess lye in the off-brand bleaches make about a + 0.2 difference per month in ph balance, as opposed to +0.1 with clorox (chem geek came up with that, hopefully I am remembering his post correctly as I can't find it right now).
    does it make sense monetarily for you?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

For some reason ( and i hope its people turning to the BBB method), we cant get the small bottles of Great Value at our local Wal Mart only the big bottles !
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    does it make sense monetarily for you?
    Nope. I just like data and sharing it with people.
    AGP partially buried, with surrounding deck and flower bed. 12 x 24 oval x 48" deep Celebration by Forum. Steel sides, vinyl liner. Hayward 2 HP sand pump. Flower fountain - works well to cool water up to 10 degrees.

SBax, how did you come up with your numbers?

Terry
    25k gal painted concrete, 1hp Pentair Wisperflo pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Stingl Safety vacume relief system. Pool Solutions PS232 FAS/DPD test kit.

16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

SBax, Whoa!, after further thought I have decided you look trustworthy :P I think I'll just trust your numbers

Terry
    25k gal painted concrete, 1hp Pentair Wisperflo pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Stingl Safety vacume relief system. Pool Solutions PS232 FAS/DPD test kit.

Keep in mind that these numbers will vary depending on how long the bottles have been on the shelf.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by TizMe
    For some reason ( and i hope its people turning to the BBB method), we cant get the small bottles of Great Value at our local Wal Mart only the big bottles !
    It's just the opposite here. My store stopped carrying the big bottles.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280