Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Salt to a chlorine IG cement pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Salt to a chlorine IG cement pool.

I have a 33k in ground cement pool. I heard that adding salt, ie large bags from COSTCO, would help make the water smoother and clearer. Is this true and how much should i add ?
    33,000 in ground gunite pool with heater, automatic chlorinator and D.E. filter.
    Switched over to liquid chlorine and baking soda this season and very happy. Saved MUCHO $$$$$$$$.
    I bet my pool store "buddy" is wondering where I went to, along with the 100's of $.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Adding Salt to a chlorine IG cement pool.

it will not make it clearer (though I bet it will be clearer if you read through pool-school/ and apply the pool care techniques you learn there).
    many people think the salt makes the water feel better on the skin. you can shoot for 1500-1800ppm. I would use the blue bags from lowe's or wherever you can get it cheapest. just mix it up by brushing after you add it and don't allow clumps to stay on the floor. make sure you test your water for salt first, as you probably already have salt in there form other things. you can use to figure out how much to add. here is an article on how to use it: pool-school/pool_calculator

here are some other threads about this same question:

IMO, borates make the biggest difference in water feel. you should really read through pool school and get a good understanding of your pool and water balance (it's not what the pool store tells you) first.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.