Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: MAJOR crisis on my hands

1. Back To Top    #1

MAJOR crisis on my hands

I let the pool turn cloudy - my fault. This morning my husband was vacuuming up dead algae and he sucked up a mini torpedo that he didn't see until it was too late. We can't find it at the end of the system, so it must be stuck in the pipes. Help!! Do we have any options except to stand back and allow it to plug up the sysytem?
    Midland TX, 20,000 gal fiberglass, StaRite pump, cartridge filter, 3 returns, BBB second year

2. Back To Top    #2
    Hillsborough, NC

Re: MAJOR crisis on my hands

It likely didn't make it past the first 90 below the skimmer. You might be able to hook it with some wire or something and pull it up.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: MAJOR crisis on my hands

I assume from your description that you have a suction side cleaner. Have you already checked the hose? Have you checked in the pump basket?

Your best option is to disconnect the suction piping before the check valve and blow water backwards toward the pool. Hopefully that will dislodge it and it'll shoot back in the pool.

Another option would be to disconnect the piping before the check valve and use a wet/dry vac to try and "suck" it back out of the piping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit