Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello From ND

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello From ND

Hi everyone. I have been reading the posts on the site and decided to join. I take care of 2 pools the Park District in Grand Forks ND. One pool is 500,000 gallons and the other one is 256,000 gallons. We use bleach for the sanitizer and acid for PH control. Our season is short in ND the 2 pools are only open for 3 months. I have enjoyed the forum from reading the posts and hope to join in on the discussions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello From ND

WOW!!! How much bleach do those pools consume in a day???

Welcome to the forum!

Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi SMH,

Welcome to the forum

We would like to see a pic of those gargantuan pools!

I'm with Beez, how much bleach?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the welcome. This year in the 256,000 gal pool I have used a high of 285 gallons one week and around 60 gallons on the low end for a week. We just got the big pool up and going last week after a 6 year hiatus. We used gas chlorine in that pool before, so I'm estimating that I will use twice the amount what the smaller pool uses.

5. Back To Top    #5

So, um, like in jugs?

Do you just have crates of the stuff? Or do you get it in giant tanks or something?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

This year as of Monday I have went through 1200 gallons bleach, 220 gallons muriatic acid, 850 lbs sodium bicarbonate, 800 lbs of calcium chloride and 75 lbs stabilizer. The place where I buy my chemical from comes up with 325 gallons totes and pumps it in to my tanks. I have 2 300 gallon tanks and 3 225 gallon tanks that the bleach is stored in. The acid comes in 15 gallons drums, the sodium bicarb and calcium chloride come in 50 lb bags. I have a chemtrol 250 controller and stenner peristaltic pumps that do all of the work dosing the bleach and acid.

7. Back To Top    #7

Facsinating. Whenever I go to a public pool I'm always trying to peek behind the scenes to see "the set up". If I'm ever out your way I'm gonna PM you so I can have a tour
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

This year as of Monday I have went through 1200 gallons bleach, 220 gallons muriatic acid, 850 lbs sodium bicarbonate, 800 lbs of calcium chloride and 75 lbs stabilizer.
    I was just thinking about complaining publicly on the forum about my chlorine usage lately.......I think I'll keep my mouth shut
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Facsinating. Whenever I go to a public pool I'm always trying to peek behind the scenes to see "the set up". If I'm ever out your way I'm gonna PM you so I can have a tour
    tours are always free of charge

10. Back To Top    #10

It's been a couple of weeks since you posted this thread, but I wonder what kind of challenges you encounter in managing such a large operation. Also, do you have a boiler to heat the pools? Use a filter to condition your make-up water? Welcome to TFP.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP!!

I, too, have had the 'pleasure' of playing with large commercial pools :P

Just from the amount of acid your using, it sounds like the alk may be a bit high - if you lower it you may get away with having to use less acid
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)