Cleaning testing vials

sgtdvldog

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Blue Springs, MO
Thread hijack at bottom of thread split to new topic - Moderator

When you are done testing, what is the best way to clean the vials, so there is nothing left for the next time you test?

I have been rinsing them with pool water and then putting them in the case. I'm thinking that I'm leaving something in them, especially the FAS/DPD test, since I have to do the test twice to get a good reading.

Should I leave them out on the counter to air dry. Can I wash them with soap and water or will that leave something in the vials?

For years, all I've done is a good pool water rinse and have had no reason to suspect any contamination.

I'm pretty lazy and put mine back in the kit with the outside dried off but the inside still wet.

Others may suggest being more thorough.

sgtdvldog said:
I have been rinsing them with pool water and then putting them in the case. I'm thinking that I'm leaving something in them, especially the FAS/DPD test, since I have to do the test twice to get a good reading.

To clarify what I mean by a "good reading" is that the first test I do is 1ppm lower than the next test. Last night I tested 3 times. The first one was 1ppm lower and the next 2 were the same, so I would assume the last 2 tests were the correct ones.

sgtdvldog said:

I rinse with tap water, then wipe inside and out with a paper towel.

To clarify what I mean by a "good reading" is that the first test I do is 1ppm lower than the next test. Last night I tested 3 times. The first one was 1ppm lower and the next 2 were the same, so I would assume the last 2 tests were the correct ones.

Sounds to me like you may not be using quite enough powder. I had the same problem with repeatability because I was trying to measure the powder too carefully, which ended up with not quite enough to yield accurate results. Use a little more powder next time you test and I think you will have solved your problem.

I rinse mine with pool water and put them away wet. Well, I 'sling' them out.
I keep a paper towel in my TF100 case.
It absorbs moisture when the case is closed and makes a good white background when testing.
I fold it in half, and just lay it on top across the compartments before I close the lid.

As for the DPD powder, I look to see if it has all dissolved in my water sample before I add any drops. If it has, I add a few more granules. I figger that if there are a couple of undissolved crystals in the water, then I have saturated the sample and I have used enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.