Pool filter issues when vacuuming

Aug 12, 2009
When vacuuming my pool, everything works fine for about 10 minutes. After that, dirt comes from the return line back into the pool. The sand filter is working to some degree, as when I backflush it, the water is very dirty. It is not sand going into the pool. HELP...

Is the filter pressure significantly higher when the dirty water starts returning to the pool? If so, here's a possibility: You start vacuuming with a clean filter and everything works like it should. As the filter gets dirty, the filter pressure rises, and a weak multiport gasket allows dirty water to bypass the filter and return directly to the pool.

my pool has done the same thing all summer. i had to replace the pump and ever since i done that when i vacuum dirty water comes back through the jets. i stop and backwash and start again and it works fine for a while, then it the dirty water comes back through the jets again. how do i check to see if it is a bad multiport, or is this something i have to get a pool guy to come and do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.