Need to get water OUT of my pool. How?

Queakous

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2009
Pensacola, FL
Just got my first AG pool and got it filled. Lotsa rain has my skimmer covered completely. I need to know what to set the pump to to get the excess water out. Help please. have Columbia sand filter pump with six settings- rinse, recirculate, winter, filter, waste, closed. Which one is it and what do I do with it? Thanks

Waste. Shut the pump off, set the valve to waste, then turn the pump on. I can't imagine your filter doesn't have a backwash position though, and I'd backwash first to clean the filter with water you are getting rid of.

Did you put pool up? I'd investigate where that waste water is going to go, before I hit the switch. If there is a rolled up blue hose, UNROLL IT FIRST so that it is not kinked and water goes where you want it to or it will get blown off or split in the first few seconds. If there is no hose, water will come out whatever valve port has nothing on it so you or something else may get wet. In this case, you would want to acquire/install a waste hose. Good luck!

Durk, I was so glad to see you mention the fact that there may be a blue hose and to check for it. I think sometimes we forget that "newbies" may not know all the ins and outs of pool maintenace. I think our messages sometimes "assume" that pool owners know all the fine details of pool ownership, when in fact they don't. I know I didn't. Sometimes we tell pool owners what to do, but fail to tell them How to do it. This Pool Forum is a source of wonderful information, and I couldn't maintain my pool without it.

Thanks every one. Got the water level down to a acceptable level but without a backwash hose. Gotta get one of them. Also found the "Backwash" position on my pump. Cleverly hidden by the selector handle. Thank you very much. I am so grateful I found your site.
Had my inaugural swim today and am very pleased!

You're right. Did my math wrong. Approximately 13500 gallons. I think the pump only has one speed and that's a boss one. It MOVES the water. I am still fiddling with the timer using info I got from the forum for good spacing on running it.

Ok. Since it's a 2HP (big pump, BTW) - you don't mention how big the sand filter is, but be diligent about making sure the sand doesn't get channelled. :wink: It's not uncommon if the pump is oversized for the filter for that to happen.

h2ctpdjl said:
Durk, I was so glad to see you mention the fact that there may be a blue hose and to check for it. I think sometimes we forget that "newbies" may not know all the ins and outs of pool maintenace. I think our messages sometimes "assume" that pool owners know all the fine details of pool ownership, when in fact they don't. I know I didn't. Sometimes we tell pool owners what to do, but fail to tell them How to do it. This Pool Forum is a source of wonderful information, and I couldn't maintain my pool without it.

Thanks. I learned the hard way when I switched from a hard-plumbed waste to a hose after 40 years. Lost about 10 feet off the dang thing before I learned to unroll it first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.