Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to get water OUT of my pool. How?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to get water OUT of my pool. How?

Just got my first AG pool and got it filled. Lotsa rain has my skimmer covered completely. I need to know what to set the pump to to get the excess water out. Help please. have Columbia sand filter pump with six settings- rinse, recirculate, winter, filter, waste, closed. Which one is it and what do I do with it? Thanks
    About 13500 Gal. 24'x52" AG, Sand filter, 2HP Columbia, Timer, Lil' Shark auto cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to get water OUT of my pool. How?

Waste. Shut the pump off, set the valve to waste, then turn the pump on. I can't imagine your filter doesn't have a backwash position though, and I'd backwash first to clean the filter with water you are getting rid of.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you put pool up? I'd investigate where that waste water is going to go, before I hit the switch. If there is a rolled up blue hose, UNROLL IT FIRST so that it is not kinked and water goes where you want it to or it will get blown off or split in the first few seconds. If there is no hose, water will come out whatever valve port has nothing on it so you or something else may get wet. In this case, you would want to acquire/install a waste hose. Good luck!
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Durk, I was so glad to see you mention the fact that there may be a blue hose and to check for it. I think sometimes we forget that "newbies" may not know all the ins and outs of pool maintenace. I think our messages sometimes "assume" that pool owners know all the fine details of pool ownership, when in fact they don't. I know I didn't. Sometimes we tell pool owners what to do, but fail to tell them How to do it. This Pool Forum is a source of wonderful information, and I couldn't maintain my pool without it.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks every one. Got the water level down to a acceptable level but without a backwash hose. Gotta get one of them. Also found the "Backwash" position on my pump. Cleverly hidden by the selector handle. Thank you very much. I am so grateful I found your site.
    Had my inaugural swim today and am very pleased!
    About 13500 Gal. 24'x52" AG, Sand filter, 2HP Columbia, Timer, Lil' Shark auto cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think your pool holds 17,600 gallons....

Is that a 2 speed pump?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I don't think your pool holds 17,600 gallons....

Is that a 2 speed pump?
    24' x 52" round usually equates to around 13,500 gallons because you don't fill it all the way up to the rim.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

8. Back To Top    #8

You're right. Did my math wrong. Approximately 13500 gallons. I think the pump only has one speed and that's a boss one. It MOVES the water. I am still fiddling with the timer using info I got from the forum for good spacing on running it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. Since it's a 2HP (big pump, BTW) - you don't mention how big the sand filter is, but be diligent about making sure the sand doesn't get channelled. It's not uncommon if the pump is oversized for the filter for that to happen.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by h2ctpdjl
    Durk, I was so glad to see you mention the fact that there may be a blue hose and to check for it. I think sometimes we forget that "newbies" may not know all the ins and outs of pool maintenace. I think our messages sometimes "assume" that pool owners know all the fine details of pool ownership, when in fact they don't. I know I didn't. Sometimes we tell pool owners what to do, but fail to tell them How to do it. This Pool Forum is a source of wonderful information, and I couldn't maintain my pool without it.
    Thanks. I learned the hard way when I switched from a hard-plumbed waste to a hose after 40 years. Lost about 10 feet off the dang thing before I learned to unroll it first.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.