Thoughts on SWG plumbing

jond76

Jun 10, 2009
Houston, Tx
I'm considering going salt water. The intex swg to be exact. I know my pool is a bit big but I read someone around here with a comparable pool is working this setup with longer run times.

My question is this: as far as plumbing this thing, could I do something as simple as swap the swg out with the in line chlorinator? It seems almost too convenient. Thoughts?

Most likely you can fit the SWG into the same spot, but it will no doubt take some minor plumbing work to fit it in. The Intex uses non-standard plumbing connectors, and you will have to find the appropriate adapters.

You can probably get a lot of info from these threads -
http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-swg-t1090.html
http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-swg-w-inground-pool-t8884.html
I left my chlorinator hooked up, it comes in handy when you want to use tri-chlor pucks(yes, even with a SWG pucks have a useful place in the TFP line-up, so does bleach!) I thought that plumbing my SWG in was easy, but I'm comfortable cutting and glueing PVC, the wiring is really easy, just plug it in!
For a pool as large as yours, in Texas, I'd consider using two of these units, what I'll call a RAISC system(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Salt Chlorinators) with them hooked in parallel to reduce back pressure and run time. I'd also recommend that you buy spare parts (ie. extra units) for future repairs: if you look in this forum, even the "Big Boys" need (expensive)parts for repairs!
Best Wishes, and Good Luck!!!

New2Me said:
For a pool as large as yours, in Texas, I'd consider using two of these units, what I'll call a RAISC system(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Salt Chlorinators) with them hooked in parallel to reduce back pressure and run time.

You know, I was very happy to keep lurking and absorbing the wealth of knowledge. But then you have to make a joke like that and I can't help but comment. That was pretty good. I'm curious how many people on here actually get that without having to look it up.

I actually just hooked up my Intex last week. It fit ok but running the pump on high causes the included hose to expand a disturbing amount. But it didn't take any more to install it for me than the parts that were included. And it fit right in the space where my Pool Frog used to sit, convenient.

I really didn't mean for it to be a joke, more a statement of my perceived reality! Glad you liked it! For those that don't care/know how to look it up, I borrowed it from the Information Technology lingo cloud. It is RAID, Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disk drives (I've seen other words used to derive the same purpose acronym) a way of using multiple computer hard drives on which to store data so that when one failed, everything else didn't. Same reasoning applies here, if you have one big SWCG and it stops, you're out of the chlorine making business until you fix whatever is causing it to stop. With multiple units, when one fails, you can up the load on the others to carry on whilst repairs are made.

New2Me said:
, if you have one big SWCG and it stops, you're out of the chlorine making business until you fix whatever is causing it to stop. With multiple units, when one fails, you can up the load on the others to carry on whilst repairs are made.

When I built my computer, I put in a RAID 0. Maybe the benefit would be the same for the SWG, where having 2 would garner better performance, as well as backup if one fails:

RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks and each block is written to a separate disk drive. I/O performance is greatly improved by spreading the I/O load across many channels and drives.

mickey4paws said:
New2Me said:
, if you have one big SWCG and it stops, you're out of the chlorine making business until you fix whatever is causing it to stop. With multiple units, when one fails, you can up the load on the others to carry on whilst repairs are made.

When I built my computer, I put in a RAID 0. Maybe the benefit would be the same for the SWG, where having 2 would garner better performance, as well as backup if one fails:

RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks and each block is written to a separate disk drive. I/O performance is greatly improved by spreading the I/O load across many channels and drives.
with SWGs you are just better off buying 2, and keeping 1 on a shelf, in case the other one breaks, or even better - buying 1 and then buying second one when the other one fails :)

here is a pic of the adapter I used to plumb mine in (yes I know it's not sch 40 fittings, but they work well...as jason mentioned, given the male threads on the intex swg are not exactly like the threads on pvc plumbing, i would suggest using a good amount of pipe dope when attaching the fitting to the swg...the pic is for 1.5" pvc plumbing

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/?action=view&current=IMG_1074.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strannik said:
with SWGs you are just better off buying 2, and keeping 1 on a shelf, in case the other one breaks, or even better - buying 1 and then buying second one when the other one fails
YES. As interesting (and amusing) is the notion proposed earlier in the thread, it doesn't make good sense to install multiple units in an array, parallel or otherwise, unless 1 proves insufficient to redress chlorine demand. Why have the electro plating being worn and the circuitry charged when they're not needed? My vote is with Strannik on this one :-D

The array idea is for increasing the capacity, the having spares is the inexpensively pointed part. Having an array, with valves, would make it easier to "swap" the in use unit to clean/repair it, and/or keep it dry(valved out) when not in use (although I seem to remember reading here somewhere that it is not the exposure to pool water that diminishes the life of the cell, but the AMP-HOURS usage it sees.) Anyways, it always happens to me, that when something fails, and I need a part RIGHT NOW, the "I-have-the-part-you-need" place is closed, or worse yet, several shipping days away, and thats if I know what part is is. The "I-can-help-you-troubleshoot-that-problem" people are often not available when I need them either, and, with computers, they most often also speak a different dialect of The Kings English, further complicating the situation. Then there's the "That-one-part-is-almost-as expensive-as-a-whole-new-unit," which was expensive to start with. If I can get 5 inexpensive units versus 1 expensive one, I've got 4 spares(or one unit, one spare and party cash :whoot: . )

Early computers with Hard Disk Drives were not of much use when the drive failed, if they used DOS(Disk based Operating System.) A single large Hard Disk Drive was more expensive then several smaller ones, but usually had the same MTBF(Mean Time Before Failure.) Going with a RAID meant that when you lost a drive: a.)you could continue to operate the computer, b.)you could replace it cheaper (and usually get more capacity for the money.) This was my thinking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.