How do you keep the mender nut on?

Craig

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Staten Island NY
I have a Hayward vacuum and per the instructions I removed one of the sections of hose because it was too long. Upon reconnecting, I follow the instructions on the attached diagram, however I cannot replicate the seal the hose comes out of the factory with and consequently, it separates every other use.

My next try will be with some sort of lubricant to hopefully get the mender nut on the hose better however my gut tells me it will also make the attachment separate easier.

Does anyone see any issues with attaching the hose with an automotive hose clamp? I know the chlorine wouldn't be the best for the clamp but inversely, do not know if the clamp will be bad for my water chemistry. Can anyone offer advice on a better method of attaching or alternative method?

Attachments

• Mender Nut.doc
    43 KB · Views: 28
Cleaner hose nuts work differently than compression fittings on other types of plumbing/hydraulics. The nut goes onto the fitting first, then slide the hose onto the fitting, then give the nut a couple of twists back onto the hose. Once you get it, it's simple and will hold indefinitely.

Mayorb said:
Cleaner hose nuts work differently than compression fittings on other types of plumbing/hydraulics. The nut goes onto the fitting first, then slide the hose onto the fitting, then give the nut a couple of twists back onto the hose. Once you get it, it's simple and will hold indefinitely.
Good to know. Thanks for that simple explanation.

Welcome to the forum... :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.