Correlation between chlorine consumption and pool temp

splash

Oct 24, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hello,
I have an AutoPilot Dig 48 set at 50% on cell power 3.
Here are my numbers:
CL 3.0
CYA 60-70
Ph 7.5
CH 475
TA 70
Temp 90-95 (My wife likes the pool as warm as possible so I leave the solar on the highest setting)
Seq (O-Ace-Sis brand) 12ppm

I'm having trouble raising the CL. Is it due to the high pool temperature? Is the sequestrant level affecting the chlorine consumption?
BTW - I shocked it a few weeks ago. The pool is very clean and has a screen enclosure.

The warmer the water, the more chlorine you will use. The AutoPilot units have built-in temperature compensation. So it should turn up the percentage for you automatically.

Sequestrant doesn't usually have anything to do with it. A few brands of sequestrant will use chlorine for a day or two after you add them. But for most brands, and after a couple of days in any case, they won't use up any more chlorine.

Your CYA level is a little low. This probably isn't significant, but with CYA between 70 and 80 you will use a bit less chlorine.

I am trying to raise the CL level via the SWG. I'm concerned that my SWG isn't doing it's job very well. I remember during the winter when the pool temp was in the 50's the SWG was at 25% on cell power 1. I guess there isn't a chart or formula that shows the relationship between pool temp and chlorine degradation.
I'll do an overnight chlorine test but I think the problem is my SWG or the pool temp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.