Basket liners for pool pump basket?

Jun 24, 2009
My cartridge filter get way too dirty too quickly, especially since our auto vacuum died and I haven't replaced it yet. I'm thinking of getting a back of those basket liners, but I'm thinking it won't be as efficient in the skimmer basket as it would be in the pump basket. Is this OK? Any experience out there?

My only thought is wow, what a hassle to clean out or replace that one as regularly as need be. I don't know about your pump but mine requires a bit of muscle to remove the lid to the pump pot, plus the pump has to be off, the ball valves closed, etc. Much more efficient to catch that junk at the skimmer, easier to clean or replace.

X-PertPool said:
Why not use the sock on the skimmer basket? you can use a vacuum plate on top of it. ( I think should at least)

I guess my main concern is how much of the junk is coming through the floor drains and how much through the skimmer. I guess it makes sense that most of it comes from the skimmer.

I couldn't possibly use a skimmer sock on my pump basket... the sock would block anything solid from even entering the basket as it would be trapped on the outside of the basket where the water enters the pump. Perhaps your pump/basket set-up is different from mine.

dattia said:
I couldn't possibly use a skimmer sock on my pump basket... the sock would block anything solid from even entering the basket as it would be trapped on the outside of the basket where the water enters the pump. Perhaps your pump/basket set-up is different from mine.

Heh... good point. I guess that solves that. If I could figure out how to vacuum my pool with the skimmer basket/sock still in I would be ok. Maybe there's an adapter plate or something I could put over. That way the stuff I vacuum up would go into the skimmer basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.