Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool alarms

Pool alarms

Hello All,

I'm about 3 days from my in-ground pool being finished (as long as the weather holds off...) and I've been researching various pool alarms. It appears that there is a wide range from inexpensive to quite expensive. Is there a consensus on the board about pool alarms?

I'm considering the Swim Alert by MG International. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Matt
    24k 18 x 36 vinyl inground, Pentair pump, DE filter & 250 BTU heater, SWG

Re: Pool alarms

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyinMI
    Is there a consensus on the board about pool alarms?
    The closest you'll come to a consensus is that they are a pain and not a substitute for a fence. I wish there was one to recommend, but they all seem to be terribly susceptible to false alarms.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

I am guessing no one likes to discuss pool alarms?

I am also on the home stretch on construction of my pool...have a couple of youngters at the house. Even though i know the best preventive medicine is full time supervision. But kids will be kids.

I am thinking a subsurface alarm...read up some good info about them, and they are less likely to have false alarms. Anyone has experience with subsurface alarms?

Thanks for your comment.
    pm
    19,000 gallon, irregular kidney shaped, plaster pool surrounded by (8) cypress, (1) oleander, (3) palm trees, (2) unknown shrubbery
    Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, with fresh #20 silica sand, and WhisperFlow 3/4 hp. full rated pump
    Innovative Pools controls with digital timers and remote light switch
    Hayward pool sweep with new gearbox A-Frame & turbine, and pods

TFP's resident Pool Fool :)

Quote Originally Posted by PoolMan93
    I am guessing no one likes to discuss pool alarms?
    What is there to talk about? They all give false alarms. After a couple of false alarms you stop paying attention to them or disable them and it is the same as if you never had one in the first place (except you are out some money and had to respond to the false alarms).

If you are worried, spend your money on a really good tall fence with auto latching gates and child proof latches.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I am with Jason on this one. we put a six foot fence with child locks on them... and then pad locks on top of that... not unlocked unless we are in there... no one swims alone,,, even me...
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.