How often do you use the FAS/DPD test kit?

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
Noob question. How often do you use the FAS/DPD test kit? It would seem that DPD powder would have to be replenished 2 or 3 times a season or more if you used it every other day. Just curious as I've just gotten the test. I guess in my thinking, in "normal" times I would use the OTO kit and for "special" times the FAS/DPD. I happen to be in a "special" time (my pool has issues). It would seem to me at least, that I would want to know exactly what my chlorine levels are, and therefor use the FAS/DPD daily or at least every other day. How else would you know to monitor your levels with the pool calculator?

Most weekends and whenever something unusual is going on like like a problem, opening the pool, being away from the pool etc. Routine testing is done with the OTO.

DonW said:
Thanks for the quick reply. One last question. If for instance my minimum FC level is 5 and my target is 7, do I shock at 4?

No. Good indications you might need to shock are if your water starts looking dull or cloudy, your CC's climb over .5ppm, or if you start noticing an unusual chlorine demand. If I see any of this in my pool, the first thing I do is an overnight FC loss test. If my overnight loss is still less than 1 ppm, I may or may not shock, depending on what factors are at play (dull water, high CC's). If it's 1ppm or over with any of the indicators, I definitely shock the pool.

I will add that letting your FC consistently drop below your minimum value will more than likely lead to you having to shock the pool at some point in the future.

I am a little anal about testing...I try to usd the DPD-FAS test at least 4-5 times per week...I use it everyday on the weekends...because that is when we swim more. I also like to know exactly what my FC numbers are...because I have trouble differentiating from 3ppm to 5ppm on the color chart on the OTO test. I just like knowing and I don't like guessing when i can't tell the color.

Beave

When I first got my testkit, I was converting from Baquacil, so I was using it often. Now I use the DPD-FAS about 3 times a week. I sometimes use the OTO test, but just so I know there's chlorine in there, as I find I can't differentiate between 2 and 5 on the container. I still have about 1/4 of the powder left, or a little less. I'm almost out of the bottle of 0871, and just bought another bottle of it.

I use mine everyday I am home along with the PH. I have seen people complain about the cost but my family and friends are more inportant then a few dollars that these test cost for the year. Also I have not had any issues since the pool was put in a few months ago due to this forum!

kenmccall said:
I use mine everyday I am home along with the PH. I have seen people complain about the cost but my family and friends are more inportant then a few dollars that these test cost for the year. Also I have not had any issues since the pool was put in a few months ago due to this forum!

KenM...That is the way I feel...If I went through two containers of powder and two containers of 0871 I would not care...As long as I know, that my pool is in shape I am happy...I also test PH daily...I use my old Taylor test kit collector, as it differentiates the colors better. It is actually easier to use because it is a larger sample size. But that is just me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use mine every day as well. The FAS-DPD is the only one I'll be running out of on a regular basis and I'll probably go the entire season on one set now that I have things figured out. At nine or 10 drops a day one kit lasts a long time.

I'll order the double 870 & 871 next time I order.

I use the Apollo stirrer every day too. :mrgreen:

I use mine every day. I'd say I use my OTO rarely. I like to know exact numbers. :cool:

I find the OTO test to be not of much use to me, I cannot tell the difference between 3 and 5.

So with CYA at 50, min FC at 4.... could be 3 could be 5, I dunno, too hard to call.

anonapersona said:
I find the OTO test to be not of much use to me, I cannot tell the difference between 3 and 5.

So with CYA at 50, min FC at 4.... could be 3 could be 5, I dunno, too hard to call.
Have you ever used the OTO test immediately after the FAS-DPD to get a reference for the color? Doing that really helped me be able to distinguish what a 5 looks like. For my purposes measuring 5 or higher is all the OTO test is good for, but for that singular purpose I find it useful. Mostly to verify a min FC level when I know what it should be.

I've always wished for the same approach with the PH test. I wish I had a reference sample with a known PH that I could put in the viewing block to show me for certain what, for example, 7.5 looks like.

Beez said:
Have you ever used the OTO test immediately after the FAS-DPD to get a reference for the color?

Yes, didn't seem to help. With the other color things, like strips and the pH side, I carefully look and ask "is it more or less than 7.6?", "is it more or less than 7.8?" trying to judge the degree of yellow inside the pink but that just dosen't work for the yellow or yellow-er CL side.

I do suspect that the floursecent lights in the laundry room may be a factor but the mosquiotes outside are just horrible now that we have had a bit of rain (we back to wooded area) . And I am not about to spray up just to sit outside long enough to do the test. Done that, got 4 or 5 bites in that short time.

Were my CYA lower at 30 then that 3.0 pm target would be useful. I probably will let it fall in the winter but not now in 100 degree heat.

anonapersona said:
Yes, didn't seem to help. With the other color things, like strips and the pH side, I carefully look and ask "is it more or less than 7.6?", "is it more or less than 7.8?" trying to judge the degree of yellow inside the pink but that just dosen't work for the yellow or yellow-er CL side.

It is a matter of intensity with the OTO cl test.

I do suspect that the floursecent lights in the laundry room may be a factor but the mosquiotes outside are just horrible now that we have had a bit of rain (we back to wooded area) . And I am not about to spray up just to sit outside long enough to do the test. Done that, got 4 or 5 bites in that short time.

Possibly, but to my eyes a 5 or higher is more of a gold color, very much distinctly darker than the darkest yellow shade on the viewing block, which is all the test is good for in my opinion. I agree with you, I wouldn't use it to try and measure anything below 5.

Were my CYA lower at 30 then that 3.0 pm target would be useful. I probably will let it fall in the winter but not now in 100 degree heat.

I've been in the every-day camp but I am trying to get myself to use the OTO more. With both a pool and separate spa I'm about to get my second FAS-DPD refill this year... it is not rocket science to know about how much bleach the pool wants each day, it's more learning to trust it to go more than one whole day without the good test.
--paulr

Every day.

Hello,

I use the FAS/DPD every "normal" day, and I test a 10mL sample. On "special" days, such as when I am trying to adjust a slightly-too-high FC down to the usual 5 level (via changing of the %-setting on the SWG) then I will test at least twice a day.

When I need a closer look, I do a 25mL test.

I don't have the OTO test.

I watch (and test) my pool like a hawk when I am in town; the neighbor uses the Aqua Check strips when I'm away. Our FC is never allowed to be below 5, just on GP.

Lana

I'm neurotic and addicted to that darn FAS-DPD test ! I use it daily. I just gotta know EXACTLY what is going on with the FC level. Of course I'm just getting started and this is helping me learn about what my pool is consuming under various conditions. As time goes by and I get more confident I can see myself using the OTO kit for my daily checks.

One question though. What about those of you whose target FC is 7, 8, or 9? All the OTO will tell you is that you are at at least 5. Seems like you will need the "real" test to actually know. Otherwise some educated daily guesswork would be in order.

It is fairly easy to get into a routine where you add the same amount of chlorine every day. You use the FAS-DPD test to help you figure out just how much chlorine that should be. Then, six days of the week you can use the OTO test just to double check that nothing is going drastically wrong, and the seventh day you test with FAS-DPD to see if the changing seasons require you to adjust your daily chlorine amount.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.