Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: heater shutting off when water (rain) enters the top...

1. Back To Top    #1

heater shutting off when water (rain) enters the top...

Model LAAARS LT... If you keep the top vents covered, and avoid letting the rain in, it works... someone moved the "cover" and now it doesn't work again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: heater shutting off when water (rain) enters the top...

What happens when it shuts off? Error? No display? Breaker tripped?

3. Back To Top    #3

So, I "Turn the heater on", nothing happens, then about a minute later, the "hi limit" and "service" LEDs light...

I looked inside, and there was a lot of leaves and tree **** inside.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

4. Back To Top    #4

So the fan doesn't even come on?

Well, first thing to do is to check continuity across your high-limits.

5. Back To Top    #5

Are these N/O or N/C switches? Or, should I get a resistance reading? (I'm an electrical engineer by training)

6. Back To Top    #6

Normally closed. There's one on the inlet and one on the outlet, each opens at a set temp with the inlet side having a lower threshold. They're usually set to open somewhere between 115-150 F.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I'll ohm them out and post a reading - to summarize, they should be closed (infinite ohms) unless the water is at/over temp...

(Edited for stupidity) - OK, I see they're wired in series. I get it (there should be ~0 ohms, unless one of the switches is broken).

8. Back To Top    #8

That was it, the 135oF sensor was bad. Changed it out and it sparked right up!

Thanks millions!

- Jeff