Algecide Frequency

jhirsch1

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The directions on the HTH algecide i have been using (to kill the bugs floating in my pool) says that i should add 3 ounces once a week for a maintanence dose to prevent alge. Since I am using it to kill bugs, not algea is there a problem if I add every 3-4 days instead of weekly? I believe I may be able to reduce the dose and still kill the bugs, but in the event I don't reduce the dose, what is the impact of using algecide 2 times a week instead of 1 time?

If you don't mind a layer of bubbles on the water be my guest and use it more than the directions state. Even following directions HTH algaecides can and will foam because they are all linear quats.

That's what I understand, i'm just not sure how much or little of which type of soap I should use. And at what frequency. I don't want a bubble bath, but I would gladly exchange a little foaming in place of these crazy bugs.

Use Pool tile soap. It is low foaming (MUCH less than the algaecide) but will effectively reduce the surface tension so the bugs drown. It comes in gallons at most decent pool supplies. As a plus it is excellent at cleaning the tile and water line. :wink: IF you have any scale build up mix it half and half with muriatic acid for the tile and water line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.