Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algecide Frequency

1. Back To Top    #1

Algecide Frequency

The directions on the HTH algecide i have been using (to kill the bugs floating in my pool) says that i should add 3 ounces once a week for a maintanence dose to prevent alge. Since I am using it to kill bugs, not algea is there a problem if I add every 3-4 days instead of weekly? I believe I may be able to reduce the dose and still kill the bugs, but in the event I don't reduce the dose, what is the impact of using algecide 2 times a week instead of 1 time?
    2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algecide Frequency

If you don't mind a layer of bubbles on the water be my guest and use it more than the directions state. Even following directions HTH algaecides can and will foam because they are all linear quats.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, the layer of bubbles is what is killing the springtails in the pool. When the bubbles don't form when I splash the bugs come back.
    2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe it's actually reducing the surface tension of the water so they can't sit on top of it. sorry if you know this already. but I wonder if you could get the same effect for cheaper by using liquid dish soap?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I understand, i'm just not sure how much or little of which type of soap I should use. And at what frequency. I don't want a bubble bath, but I would gladly exchange a little foaming in place of these crazy bugs.

6. Back To Top    #6

Use Pool tile soap. It is low foaming (MUCH less than the algaecide) but will effectively reduce the surface tension so the bugs drown. It comes in gallons at most decent pool supplies. As a plus it is excellent at cleaning the tile and water line. IF you have any scale build up mix it half and half with muriatic acid for the tile and water line.