Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: backwash question

1. Back To Top    #1

backwash question

if the pressure on my sand filter does not go up more than 5 psi in several months, do i still need to backwash on a regular basis? if so how often
    24 ft. 52 in. deep above ground
    hayward sand filter
    new pool owner/new bbb believer

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: backwash question

On average I would say backwash once a month if your pressure hasn't risen, and backwash after vacuuming.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: backwash question

A sand filter is more porous than a DE filter, and actually becomes a more effective filter as it starts to work. This is why you'll see some people using a little DE on top of their sand to help "polish" the water(remove smaller micron particles.) I use a "skimmer sock" to catch stuff, so I don't have to open the pump strainer pot and empty the basket, and I don't backwash on any "schedule" as I don't want to lose my salt and borate. I do an extended flushing to winterize only.

If your pressure is not rising, you still have a good amount of return water force in the pool, and you don't suspect that there is a lot of contamination(no algae, pollen, bugs, etc..) in the filter, IMHO you are just washing money down the hose. But if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater