New pump install help

brettl

May 27, 2008
Northern Virginia
My new SuperPump is enroute and should be here in a couple days.

How hard is this to self-install? I'm not the most handy, but that's usually because I'm afraid of screwing something up and not because I actually do.

It seems like all I need to do is shut off the breaker, cut the existing pipe, replace pipe and connect a few wires for the power. I'm probably simplifying things a bit. I've been having a heck of a time getting pool repair people to return calls let alone come out to check anything out.

Is this too complicated? Any tips?

Thanks

I just did a self install of the same pump last week. It's not that difficult. As you stated, "shut off the breaker, cut the existing pipe, replace pipe and connect a few wires for the power." Just FYI the pump doesn't come with the wires already there so you will need to take the back cover off of the motor and connect them. Also you will need to find out if you are running 115v or 230v. There is a jumper inside there and you will have to select which one. Make sure when you replace the piping to use teflon tape on the threaded couplings, not pipe dope, and use PVC primer and cement on the other connections.

GaryN69 said:
Make sure when you replace the piping to use teflon tape on the threaded couplings, not pipe dope,

I have to disagree with that. Teflon tape doesn't work nearly as well on larger threads as pipe dope labelled for plastic pipe.

Well to determine the voltage I was running I opened up the back of my old pump. There was a diagram on it that showed it was wired for 230v, so that's how I set up the new one.

For the threads I'm talking about the threaded couplings that will screw into the pump.
The instruction manual that came with the pump said to use teflon tape and not pipe dope, but maybe JohnT knows something that I don't.

The reason some Manuf. tell us not to use the tape is because when you wrap the fitting with tape you are building up the fitting and actually making it bigger(this is if your using too much, too many wraps). Then when you screw it in, your'e expanding/stressing the female side more than designed and risk cracking the housing.

Also, don't bottom out the fitting in the housing, can lead to a leak. I think they say hand tight and then 1/2, or 3/4, or 1, full turn depending on Manuf.

Don't know why they would tell you not to use pipe dope. I use both actually, 2 to 3 wraps of tape then dope over that. call it over kill, but i haven't had a leaker due to thread sealant since. I hate having to do shiz over again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.