Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High pH problems

1. Back To Top    #1

High pH problems

Hi, I recently bought a house with a 26000 gal. IG plaster pool, sand filter. I converted it to salt water. Everything is good except the ph is constantly high, around 8.0. I add muriatic acid to bring it to 7.6 but in less than a week it is high again. I have gone through 4 gallons of acid thusfar this summer. The pump runs 24/7.

Current chemistry:
    pH 8.0
    Free Cl 2.5
    total Cl 2.5
    TA 94
    Salt 2900
    CYA 56 (I am adding some now)
    Hardness 237

Can I do something to lessen the acid demand?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High pH problems

Lower your TA to 60-70. I had similar acid demand as you describe, but lowering my TA was a huge help. Read this article along with the rest of pool school, and test the TA yourself - pool stores really don't do a good, consistent job, and testing yourself will help you gain control of your pool.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Do not let your pH stay around 8. Get it down to 7.2 if you waqt more time in between acid applications.

Lowering TA is a good idea and will probably reduce your consumption a lot. Just don't neglect the fact that 8.0 enters the danger zone for high pH.....get it down sooner rather than later.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the replies!