Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High pH problems

1. Back To Top    #1

High pH problems

Hi, I recently bought a house with a 26000 gal. IG plaster pool, sand filter. I converted it to salt water. Everything is good except the ph is constantly high, around 8.0. I add muriatic acid to bring it to 7.6 but in less than a week it is high again. I have gone through 4 gallons of acid thusfar this summer. The pump runs 24/7.

Current chemistry:
    pH 8.0
    Free Cl 2.5
    total Cl 2.5
    TA 94
    Salt 2900
    CYA 56 (I am adding some now)
    Hardness 237

Can I do something to lessen the acid demand?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High pH problems

Lower your TA to 60-70. I had similar acid demand as you describe, but lowering my TA was a huge help. Read this article http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator along with the rest of pool school, and test the TA yourself - pool stores really don't do a good, consistent job, and testing yourself will help you gain control of your pool.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Do not let your pH stay around 8. Get it down to 7.2 if you waqt more time in between acid applications.

Lowering TA is a good idea and will probably reduce your consumption a lot. Just don't neglect the fact that 8.0 enters the danger zone for high pH.....get it down sooner rather than later.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the replies!