Oh no, I have a leak!

May 15, 2009
CT
I was looking at my pool at it looked suspiciously low with the water at the return vale level. I then turned off the pump ans walk arournd the circumference of the 21' above ground pool and saw water gushing out under the sidewall. What now? I was aggressively brushing the pool and must have messed up the liner somewhere. Help!

wow - water gushing out - sounds like a big leak.
You're in luck - the bigger the leak - the easier to find!
you'll have to look in around that area where the gushing is (from inside the pool) with your goggles on. Should be easy to spot if it's big, then cut a piece of leftover liner about 1" bigger than the hole is around (if it's a 2" cut then make the patch 2"x4") round off the corners of the patch they last longer that way.
put underwater vinyl repair glue such as "boxer glue" on the patch - fold it in half - glue onto itself, the worst are on the floor - dive under (someone standing on your back helps keep you down - make sure they have no grudges against you...) and wipe the area you need to put the patch to make sure it's clean, then spread the patch in place - push it down, work bubbles and glue from the center outwards, push on it for as long as you can, now surface and stand on it for 5 minutes.
Walls are easier.

Well, it's a 3 inch tear that I tried to patch. It looked like it would hold but the water leaked out. Arghhhh, do you think I can effectively patch it with the pool dry? Or am I forced to buy a new liner? Thanks for your thoughts.

As I stated (and Xpert as well), Boxer Glue is the way to go - not wally world glue - there's a reason we don't buy wally world stuff.

A 3" gash would need a 5x3" patch with rounded corders, if you have an overlap liner, you can trim some of the excess and use it to patch - sometimes you can even match the pattern. Sacrificing a bag (used for inground pools) is a relatively cheap alternative, asking at the pool store if they have any excess liner material will sometimes yield free results - many times, pool stores will warranty liners, and only have to send the rip in for warranty purposes, leaving them with a rather large piece of useless vinyl.

With regards to "can you patch it dry"? Of course you can, however, if it's on the floor I don't recommend it since the pool should NEVER be emptied, if it's on a wall - go for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.