I got my TF100 test kit! Now what should I fix 1st?

lilredhen

Jul 29, 2009
Northern California
My results:

FC 2.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 140
CYA 70

I have the calcium on order at the hardware store (I need ~25 lbs)

Should I shock first, or drain down to lower CYA ? Is my TA OK ?

The water looks great except for some greyish dust on the bottom. Could that be mineral salts? I never had it until I started using liquid chlorine a week ago.

Jill

I bet it's dead algae.
do you use trichlor chlorine tabs? if so, take them out. your TA is ok as long as you don't use tabs (and your cya is high enough).
I run my cya at 70ppm and it works ok, you just have to use the fas-dpd test every time to be sure of where you're at (unless you're really really familiar with your water).
your biggest problem is low chlorine. I would get it up to 8ppm tonight and preform an overnight fc loss test to make sure you don't have algae waiting to happen.
pool-school/overnight_fc_test

You need to get your FC to at least 5 STAT. With a CYA of 70, you should actually be targeting an FC of around 8. You don't have any CC so you may not need to shock as long as you get the FC up to an effective range quickly and keep in there.

Draining to reduce the CYA level is your call. I'm running at 60, but I'm also in sunny Florida. Even if you plan to drain/refill you need to raise the FC to match the current CYA level.

When you get the CH, add most of what you think you need, but not all. Then retest and recalculate how much more is required. This way you don't overshoot your target. I would also decide on your CYA situation before adding the CH, because a drain/refill will require you to add CH again.

Hi, Jill,

Just to emphasize the good advice already offered......Raise your FC and keep it a little higher than you apparently have been.

You've solved/are solving the CH issue so that number soon will be good as well.

I will also bet that what you saw on the pool bottom was dead algae.

TA and pH are absolutely fine.

Over the remainder of the Summer, your CYA will slowy go down a little from splashout and refill, that'll allow you to run a little less chlorine but keep an adequate amount in your pool all the time by referring the CYA/chlorine chart in Pool School

Overall, sounds like you've got great pool water. Nix the pucks for the rest of the summer. Don't sell them, they'll be great for vacations next year when your CYA is down some......I would suggest 50ppm.

Yes you are fighting algae or some other organic matter.

Keep your FC at shock levels until you loose <1ppm overnight and CC <= .5 I know that sometimes it feels like you will never get there, but eventually you will. Then your water care will be easier that ever before.

Does not seem that you are too far away.

dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.