Need new above ground pump

hd5

Aug 7, 2007
I need some suggestions, came home last night and the pump had quit. I have a 28', 52" sidewall pool.

I want to get it going cheap as possible due to the state going to take our house next spring or summer, for a new highway, and I don't know if we can or even want to take our pool when we build again.

My wife says cover it and forget it, but I hate to shut it down in August, and I'm not sure how long we will be there next summer. Or the highway plans could fall apart.

I found a 3/4 hp pump by Aquatools for $169.99 but don't know if it is adequate, I keep reading many pools are overpowered. Right now it has a 1 1/2 hp Jacuzzi (that just buzzes). It is time for it to go. the mounts have rusted off the motor and when I took it apart the long bolts that hold the pump to the motor snapped off and I can't even just replace the motor.

Thanks for any advice..

How big /what kind of filter do you have?

You can always sell the pump on ebay or craigslist at a later date. :wink:

I run my 2HP 2 speed on low 24/7 so I would think you should be able to manage with a 1 HP, not sure about a 3/4 though- IDK.

Good luck :wave:

I have a Hayward filter, I'm at work now and have forgotten the model. Seems like it is a S18 or S21 ?????????

I was thinking maybe a smaller pump would be better, when the water gets slightly low it is bad to cavitate. ( I think that is the right word:))

It's sucking air when the water gets low, not really cavitating. A smaller pump will help a bit with that, yes, but will eventually do the same thing if the water gets low enough. If your filter was sized right for the 1.5 hp pump, then it'll be fine for the 3/4 hp. Only thing you might have to do is run the 3/4 hp longer to get enough water turnover.

Now, for a little bit more money, you could go with a 3/4 or 1 hp 2 speed pump, leave it on low speed for everything except vacuuming and adding chems, and save money on your electric bill! Then craigslist that puppy if needed! www.amerimerc.com has good prices on the Pentair Optiflo that I bought. They show it as a horizontal discharge, but you can change it to a vertical discharge if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.