Baquacil and iron stains

Aug 5, 2009
We are using Baquacil in our pool and are trying to eliminate a multitude of iron stains from the bottom of our vinyl liner w/o too much expense. Have been reading online articles about using Vit C to remove these stains after lowering the pH to 6.8. Question - does ascorbic acid compete with peroxide? Do we have to lower the amt. of Baquacil Shock and Sanitizer? Also, can we use products such as baking soda, muriatic acid, and borax to adjust pH/alkalinity?

DBfan187:

Thanks for the encouragement, we are opening our pool now and still have to deal with those (iron?) stains. Our pool center thinks that the stains are copper, but we disagree. The stains are dark orange/brown and gritty; stain comes loose when absorbic acid is applied. How much vit C would we need for a 17,000 gal pool? Should we add it b4 we turn on the pump?

Re: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

mbar/jasonlion:

Pool is not opened yet; am filling w/new water now. Ordered ascorbic acid to get rid of iron stains. Would also like to convert from Baquacil to chlorine. Which should I approach first, the iron stains or the conversion? Had water tested; no oxidizer, some stabilizer, all else is w/i range. If I lift the stains with the ascorbic acid first, I am wondering how to keep algae from growing and iron stains from reappearing w/o using a Baquacil algicide and Baquacil sequestering agent while I slowly raise the chlorine level to convert the pool water. If I convert to chlorine first, I will have to then lower the FC level before I begin adding the AA; but I would be able to use a sequestering agent and algicide that is compatible with chlorine. (Need 14 gal (possibly more) of chlorine to convert my 17,500 gal pool.)

Everything went well with the converstion, etc in June. Wanted to let you know what a fabulous summer we are having with crystal clear water. We are sold on the BBB method! Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.