SWG questions re: settings and chemistry

I wouldn't raise CYA on the basis of a single test result that is inconsistent with your previous test results. CYA doesn't usually fall from 80 to "30-50" without massive amounts of water replacement.

Your TA and CH levels are apparently both high, which means you need to be very careful to keep your PH from ever going above 7.8 in order to avoid CH scaling. Longer term you want to get both the TA and CH levels down. Again, this is assuming the testing is correct, which seems doubtful. TA doesn't just jump up by 60 in 3 days.

There are at least two indications that the water testing at this pool store is not consistent. You would do much better to get your own top quality test kit and stop depending on unreliable water testing at the pool store.

Good morning!

Got my FAS-DPD test kit, so I am on the road to self suffiency! Found a local water testing facility to corroborate my readings....they're not free but know what they're doing, and I'll use them periodically until I'm comfortable that MY readings and methods are correct.

Here are my current readings:

FC 10
TC 10
CYA 106
PH 7.5
TA 120 Adj. 88
CH 275
Salt 3800
Phos. 500

Overall, I'm pretty pleased thus far. The only question left is whether my salt cell will support the FC level I need. Pump is set to run for 9 hours (1200-2100 hrs.) at 70%...that'll give me about 3 hrs of chlorination time without sun to build up for the next day.

I appreciate the help and concern offerred to me by everyone on this forum....it resolved my issues with a minimum of aggravation! I'll monitor the pool for the next few weeks to make sure it stays intact and then.....BORATES!

Thanks again!

George

With CYA around 106 and a SWG, you need to keep FC at 5 or higher.

Your CYA is somewhat high. Ideally you want CYA to be around 70 to 80. I recommend you replace some water to lower the CYA level.

Your TA is also somewhat high. Probably all you need to do is to lower the PH to 7.2 every time it gets up to 7.8. Over time that will lower the TA level. But if PH rises too quickly you might want to lower your TA level more quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.