Chlorine

Aug 5, 2009
This summer I have not been able to keep chlorine in my pool, I have had a bought with Red algae two times this summer and I am spending about 400+ dollars a month on chemicals.

I have been told that the nitrates in my water are above the action plan of 10ppm, I have owned a pool all of my life and I have need experienced this type of problem.

I life in a rural part of the Eastern Shore in MD, there is an 30+ acre farm behind our home and the farmer did plant corn this year. The gal at the pool store told me I am using 100% more chlorine due to the high nitrate levels, and the only way to fix this is empty the pool and refill with nitrate free water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end,I have never had this type of problem and the pool is starting to become a financial burden.

Bob0815 said:
I have been told that the nitrates in my water are above the action plan of 10ppm, I have owned a pool all of my life and I have need experienced this type of problem.
IF your nitrates are above 10 ppm then water replacement is really your only option.

Welcome to TFP!

First, we need some numbers to be able to assist you:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA
CH
And also some info about your pool would be helpful - size, surface, pump/filter info...
Secondly, please read Pool School. There are several articles to help you understand what we are all about.

What have you been using to chlorinate your pool? my guess is either pucks or dichlor powder, and your CYA is very high, hence your trouble

The real experts will be along to help soon but in order to get the help you really need you'll need to post a full set of numbers

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Nitrates
Phosphates
and whatever else you know.

You also need to tell us what all else you've been using. What form your chlorine is in, other chemicals you've used, etc.

Them Mermaids are fast!!! :mrgreen:

I cut right to the chase. If the water was tested for nitrates and they are above 10 ppm then it's time to start dilutions with nitrate free water. None of the other water parameters really matter at this point. Once the nitrates are down (as close to 0 ppm as possible) 'nuking' the pool with high chlorine (around double the sock value inthe CYA/Chlorine chart) should take care of the red algae, unless the CYA is still very high. Then you need to keep draining and refilling to get the CYA down below 60 ppm.
Then, and only then, is it worthwhile to get the water rebalanced and worry about the full set of test results.

Thanks everyone for your advise, I have been draining and adding water for the last two weeks and I still cannot get the nitrate levels below 50ppm, I tested the water supply that I am adding to the pool and no signs of nitrate. I was trying to put off draining the pool and starting over but it looks like a don't have a choice. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and I will let you know who I make out in the very near future.

IF your nitrates are above 10 ppm then water replacement is really your only option.
Evan, sort of hijacking here (just a bit) but I have never seen a pool like this posted on the forum before.

Would you please post what's generally acceptable? Do most stores commonly test for it? Why can't you get rid of them with a massive dose of chlorine? What are some common sources for them to appear at this level?

Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.