Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine

This summer I have not been able to keep chlorine in my pool, I have had a bought with Red algae two times this summer and I am spending about 400+ dollars a month on chemicals.

I have been told that the nitrates in my water are above the action plan of 10ppm, I have owned a pool all of my life and I have need experienced this type of problem.

I life in a rural part of the Eastern Shore in MD, there is an 30+ acre farm behind our home and the farmer did plant corn this year. The gal at the pool store told me I am using 100% more chlorine due to the high nitrate levels, and the only way to fix this is empty the pool and refill with nitrate free water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end,I have never had this type of problem and the pool is starting to become a financial burden.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by Bob0815

I have been told that the nitrates in my water are above the action plan of 10ppm, I have owned a pool all of my life and I have need experienced this type of problem.
    IF your nitrates are above 10 ppm then water replacement is really your only option.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

First, we need some numbers to be able to assist you:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CYA
    CH
    And also some info about your pool would be helpful - size, surface, pump/filter info...
    Secondly, please read Pool School. There are several articles to help you understand what we are all about.

What have you been using to chlorinate your pool? my guess is either pucks or dichlor powder, and your CYA is very high, hence your trouble

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

The real experts will be along to help soon but in order to get the help you really need you'll need to post a full set of numbers

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    Nitrates
    Phosphates
    and whatever else you know.

You also need to tell us what all else you've been using. What form your chlorine is in, other chemicals you've used, etc.

Them Mermaids are fast!!!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Them Mermaids are fast!!!
    But not quite as fast as those waterbears!!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

6. Back To Top    #6

I cut right to the chase. If the water was tested for nitrates and they are above 10 ppm then it's time to start dilutions with nitrate free water. None of the other water parameters really matter at this point. Once the nitrates are down (as close to 0 ppm as possible) 'nuking' the pool with high chlorine (around double the sock value inthe CYA/Chlorine chart) should take care of the red algae, unless the CYA is still very high. Then you need to keep draining and refilling to get the CYA down below 60 ppm.
    Then, and only then, is it worthwhile to get the water rebalanced and worry about the full set of test results.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for your advise, I have been draining and adding water for the last two weeks and I still cannot get the nitrate levels below 50ppm, I tested the water supply that I am adding to the pool and no signs of nitrate. I was trying to put off draining the pool and starting over but it looks like a don't have a choice. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and I will let you know who I make out in the very near future.

8. Back To Top    #8

how did you get so much nitrates?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow! They must have been spraying fertilizer directly in your pool!
    Good luck with keeping it out once you drain and refill.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

IF your nitrates are above 10 ppm then water replacement is really your only option.
    Evan, sort of hijacking here (just a bit) but I have never seen a pool like this posted on the forum before.

Would you please post what's generally acceptable? Do most stores commonly test for it? Why can't you get rid of them with a massive dose of chlorine? What are some common sources for them to appear at this level?

Dave
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

High nitrate levels are rare and almost no one tests for them, low levels are common. The only common source is fertilizer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School