Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weekend Trip Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Weekend Trip Advice

This is my first summer using BBB and I have a question regarding what to do when away from the house.

This weekend I'll be away from the house for the first time since I started BBB and I'm just wondering what the normal process is when folks are away for a few days (3 for me in this case).

Do I just bring my FC up to shock level before I leave?

Do I leave my FC at normal level and just put the floater with some chlorine tabs in the pool while I'm gone?

I assume I should leave my pump running the whole time I'm gone.

Just looking for a little advice. Thanks in advance.
    18' round AG vinyl | avg. 3'9" deep | ~7,600 gallons
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Model S166T | Hayward 1hp Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Weekend Trip Advice

It really depends on your particular situation.

Bringing it to shock level is good if you can cover it while you're gone.

A floater will work if your CYA is on the lower side and your pH is on the higher side before you leave.

You should leave the pump running if you don't have it on a timer.

Three days is not a long time so with a little forethought it shouldn't be in too bad a shape when you get back.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Seattle-It really rains all the time

I left for 7 days in early June, I brought my FC up to 18(my shock level), ran the pump for an hour & put the solar cover on, & turned off the pump.

I came home 7 days later & turned on the pump at 9 pm, at 10 pm I checked the FC & it was 11.5, about 1ppm/day loss.

I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

4. Back To Top    #4

Cupertino, CA

For just 3 days, shocking even without a cover would probably be okay. I use tabs but that's because I have a bucket full and need excuses to use them.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info.

I do have a new solar cover, but haven't taken it out of the package yet and would rather not have to put it on just for a few days to be taken off again for a month.

I think I'll shock it and put the floater tabs in there. Should be fine for the weekend.
    18' round AG vinyl | avg. 3'9" deep | ~7,600 gallons
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Model S166T | Hayward 1hp Pump