Torn Liner

Jul 19, 2009
South Alabama
After battling cloudy water for the past couple of months, we found this site and got our pool looking great in no time. Now, our liner has busted so it seems all our hard work is for naught. In the process now of getting estimates for the replacement and we will be doing all the water testing and adjusting on our own.

The liner is 9 years old, not sure how much warranty there was. It is not on a seam, it torn where the pool makes an inside corner (it is a grecian style, too many corners). The liner has faded out pretty bad, I think the sun got the best of it.

9 years old and that faded :? Sounds like there may have been a little chemical abuse thrown in with the UV over the years :wink: :p :roll:

Hereis some advice on patching the liner. You may want to consider a new liner, but if you can patch it for the summer, that may work out best for you.

If you wait till fall, you won't have a couple weeks of 'no pool' while they drain, measure wait for new liner and patch/ touch up the bottom. Also, many builders charge less at the end of the swim season because they are trying to extend their work season :cool:

We have the new liner ordered now and expect it to be installed on 8-17. I wonder what to do first about getting the water chemically balanced. My thought is that I will start dissolving CYA in the water as it is filling. According to Pool Calculator, I will need about 8 lbs to get to 40. I plan to pour some bleach in also as it fills. Of course, I will be testing the water to see how the other levels are looking as it fills.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The first thing I would do is run a full test on the fill water. If you're having it trucked in make the trucking company tell you where they're getting it from so you can have that tested. If it's from an unfamiliar source have it tested for metals too.

I think adding the CYA while filling is a good idea. As soon as you can circulate I'd start adding Chlorine too.

The new liner is in and water is slowly approaching full. I tested this morning and got the following results:
Cl - .5
PH - 7.0
TA - 45
CH - 20
CYA - 0

I have filled the auto chlorinator with triclor tabs to help get some stabilizer in with the chlorine. I will discontinue them as soon as I get some CYA. The water still has about 12 more inches to fill, but I have started the pump to get some circulation going.

Suggestions for getting the water right would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.