Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can water chemistry cause egg-shell cracking/plaster pop off

1. Back To Top    #1

Can water chemistry cause egg-shell cracking/plaster pop off

Our pool could be 20 years old, we understand the current plaster is about 9 - 10 years old. Blue plaster.

Short question is: Can water chemistry cause egg-shell cracking/plaster pop offs.

Here's the scenario:

Two years ago, we had maybe half dozen egg-shell cracks. No real pattern. End of last year, and now this year, we have about 20 egg-shell cracks. Plaster began popping off last year. One spot is now about 6" across where the white (plaster of before) shows through. Nice.

In the deep end (8 1/2 feet deep), there could be a pattern not unlike expansive soil cracking where the bottom of the pool is pushed up by expansive soil pressure pushing up on the bottom of the pool. Pattern being the cracks exist at the wall/floor transition in a ring pattern around the deep end of the pool. Fortunately, the cracks are still egg-shell and the cracks are still closed. Pressure plugs in the pool floor are intact and we aren't losing water.

Water line tile, coping, tile/coping joints, skimmers all look good. Plaster is stained...looks greener than it did when we moved in. Got me a stain test kit...going out to check now. Please don't beat me up too hard (yet). LOL

Thank you.

30K gallon, inground w/integral spa, blue/gray plaster; Pentair Intelliflo pump, D.E. filter, Ultraflow UV generator, Hayward tab chlorinator, Polaris 360, Raypak propane

"As long as you are in the seat...Make a Difference"
    ---Captain James T. Kirk, circa 2293

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can water chemistry cause egg-shell cracking/plaster pop off

need test results. perhaps low CH could cause it, not sure, but I believe you're at the end of life for the plaster. it usually lasts about 10 years.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Reebok

Thank you. That's what I was thinking, but thought I'd see what someone else thought.

You wouldn't happen to be a runner? Reebok shoes...

Thanks again,

v/r

AJGIII
    30K gallon, inground w/integral spa, blue/gray plaster; Pentair Intelliflo pump, D.E. filter, Ultraflow UV generator, Hayward tab chlorinator, Polaris 360, Raypak propane

"As long as you are in the seat...Make a Difference"
    ---Captain James T. Kirk, circa 2293

4. Back To Top    #4

heh, no, many years ago I made some money on Reebok stock and I've used this name or some form of it ever since.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.