bad temp sensor?

Aug 3, 2009
Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to S.W.G. My system in 4 to 5 years old. I just purchased the house this past january. My pool pilot ran well until recently. I replaced the SC 36 cell, now the error message reads bad temp sensor. It never gave me this error before. It actually gave the message before I replaced the cell. My question is, Is there a way to check the sensor? The cord is plugged in at both ends. Do I but a new sensor? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Brian

Re: bed temp sensor?

Often a bad sensor error is a problem with the cable, though it can also be a problem with the sensor. The sensor is in the tri-sensor assembly at the top of the manifold. You might have bumped or pulled the sensor cable when you were replacing the cell.

It is possible to test the sensor with a multi-meter, but unfortunately, I don't know which pins you need to check for that model.

The BAD TEMP SENSOR display will default to 75 degrees and disables the Automatic Temperature Compensation feature, otherwise, everything else works.
Remove the tri-sensor cord from the tri-sensor and inspect the trisensor. There are 6 pins in the connector. Make sure they are straight and undamaged.
As Jason mentioned, using a multimeter, you can check the following points on the tri-sensor, and on the tri-sensor cord, to see where the fault lays.

Attachments

• FS-Stuff TS.doc
    56.5 KB · Views: 132

Thank you for responding to my temp sensor question. I guess I should try a new cable first. Then proceed with a temp sensor. Where do you recommend I purchase said items?

Brian

So I contacted crystal pools. The price for a temp sensor and cord is $299.00. Ouch. Question. Does this sound right? I tested the just the cable with my ohms meter. I looked for continuity through each wire. I got good readings through all wires except one. The black end that goes into the temp sensor has a ring of five points surrounding one in the middle. The middle one is not showing any continuity. This is telling me that the cable bad. Any one else see this result? I will try to price just the cable. Crystal pools will not sell just the cable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Either the cable is bad or the sensor is bad. If you can figure out which one, you only need to replace that one, and can save some money. If you just want the highest possible odds of it working for a long time get both as a single unit that includes both the cable and the sensor. In the newer units the cable is hardwired to the sensor, which eliminates a connector that sometimes fails.

minivolks said:
So I contacted crystal pools. The price for a temp sensor and cord is $299.00. Ouch. Question. Does this sound right? .
We also live in Clermont and tried Crystal Pools for the first time and hired them replace our pump. After the installation they emailed us saying our offline chlorinator needed a new flow control & saddle clamp, and they could repair it for $118. The clamps were fine (I replaced them last year) and were only $10-15 then, and an entire new offline chlorinator is only $80. They also quoted us for an initial treatment to do a "turn around" of $131, then tried to bill us for $161.

They also didn't do a good job on the install and when I complained they said it was fine and within code and offered to call the county inspectors to come out and say so instead of fixing it. here's a picture of the pump install - note the power cord laying over the pump.

Crystal%20Clear%20Pools%20Install.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.