Actual Depth of Frame Style Intex??

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
My neighbor has an easy-set (inflatable ring sylt) pool that bills itself as 42" deep -- but a yard stick shows that the actual water depth is 30". I assume he had it as full as possible. If anyone has a 42" deep frame style pool from Intex, can you please measure the following for me -- it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Heighth of pool wall from inside the pool.

2. Heighth of highest hose input -- ie, if I wanted to fill it less than all the way full, I assume I could stop filling somewhere between the rim of the pool and the highest pump hose -- wanting to know what depth of water that would give me.

Thanks to anyone willing to do this.

I would say on my 18x48 Intex Metal Frame pool the water height is about 42" and that is hitting the skimmer at it's midpoint.

Not sure on the other measurements you need w/o being at home to check.

Thanks to you both for the info, as well as the additional measurement when you have a chance. I may not have asked the question right, because I'm not 100% familiar with what is on those "big" pools -- what I'm looking for is the minimum depth I would need to fill it so it would work right with pump, filter, skimmer. Thanks so much!

I understand, and can get to a 15' x 42" metal frame pool a bit later.
I have had a couple of inflatable ring easy-set models before (16' and 18') and I seem to recall that they are pretty similar in layout to the metal frame units. i would expect that the hose attachment points should be roughly the same on both inflatable and metal frame models.

An Intex 15' x 42" metal frame pool measures 42" to the top of the rail. The top of the return hole is 9 1/2" down from the top of the rail. The top of the intake hole is 15" below the top of the rail.

Here's a crude diagram...
poolholes.gif

No problem. Happy to help.
Glad you liked the image - Photoshop is our friend.
I WAS gonna annotate the 42" dimension too, but then I would have had to add the little foot to the upright, and the band around the pool, and create the rope around it, and then it would have needed sprigs of grass sproutin' around the ground cloth and probably a spider crawling around and so on, and frankly I'm just too darn lazy. Imaginative and somewhat OCD, but lazy.

Thanks again -- now if you could be as precise and tell me how tall my daughters will be by next summer. Then I'd really know how large a pool I can get at the end of the season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The daughter part is easy. She will be too big too soon, just like all three of mine. One day she is sleeping in your lap, a tiny darling miracle. The next she is asking for the car keys and you'll be worried sick every time she leaves the house. But I digress and reminisce.

As for the pool, the part I didn't like about the inflatables that I've had is the inward slope of the sides, which makes the sides hard to brush, and the fact that if you lean a little too hard on the ring, you will lose a lot (LOT!) of water. I've had a 16' and an 18'.
The metal frame pool seems more open due to the straight sides and you can prop yourself on the rail and look over the side without emptying the water out, but the ground should be more carefully leveled and flattened for the frame setup. I have a 15' x 42" now.

All told, if I had the luxury of choice, I would opt for an 18' x 48" again. The extra 6 inches made a surprising difference. Bigger is better. And while I think I would prefer a straight-sided framed model, I would not turn down an inflatable ring type again.

Here's another tidbit - the smaller pools, such as 12, 14, 15, 16 foot come with the smallest of the pump/filters and have a small intake screen at ...where was that? - oh yeah - 15 inches down the wall where it catches NO surface water. You'll spend a fair bit of time skimming bugs and leaves off the surface with a tiny skimmer net on a flimsy pole handle. Once you get to 18 feet, you start getting a bigger pump and filter which can actually handle a skimmer. You also get a skimmer. It's a can that hangs into the pool from the side and is kinda annoying when you bump into it, but it does catch a lot of Crud.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck with both the pool and the daughter.

Well, I put up our "new" pool last night (15 x 36 Frame Style Intex). Quit filling after midnight. When the kids woke up and saw it, they were terrified -- say it is much too high and they want last year's pool back (which was 10 x 30 Easy Set). So, for clarity on the discussion above:

1. Is the top or bottom hole where the water gets sucked into the filter from?
2. If the water goes from the bottom hole to the filter and then gets dumped back into the pool via the top hole, can I fill the pool to a level between the two holes and thus have shallow enough water for my kids to enjoy it and still be able to use this pool?? .......... or, do I have the holse backward and thus am I REQUIRED to cover both holes with water??

Thanks for any help.

Awesome! And thanks, cheddar. I wasn't thrilled about the idea of draining this pool just to buy another pool and fill it -- but if I need to I will since it really is supposed to be fun, not scary, for the kids. So now I guess I won't get to use my skimmer unless I can rig something where it will hang down a foot or so. If anyone has done that, feel free to show some pix or explain how you did it. Thanks.

Well, I drained some out so the water is now about 1 inch or sounder the top hole. Hoping that does not raise pH to much -- I will check it in the morning and hope I don't have to use muriatic acid for the first time ever -- sounds like scary stuff to work with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.