CYA Question: How Much is Too Much?

May 18, 2008
Sacramento, CA area
Hi guys!

I have a question about CYA...

My original thread about the pool is here: my-giant-pond-is-almost-a-real-pool-and-some-questions-t15311.html

Initially (about a month ago), I added about 64 oz. of CYA (it's what I had on hand at the time). I put it in an old nylon and then put that inside a tube sock, and hung that in front of a return. It took more than a week for it to dissolve that way, about 10 days altogether. After doing that, and waiting a week to test the levels, my CYA tested at around 20 ppm. Last night, I finally added the rest of what was needed according to the pool calculator to get it up to around 40 ppm. However, I decided to skip the nylon stocking inside the tube sock, since most people said they just put it in a tube sock. Maybe I should've left the nylon stocking in there, too, because when I got up his morning, the tube sock was EMPTY. (I also think I may have inadvertently added a few ounces too much?) I really don't know what could have happened for it to have dissolved that quickly this time! I'm not seeing any undissolved substance in the pool, no clouds of anything anywhere. I turned the pump on high and put the vacuum in just in case, though, and have been running the vacuum for a couple of hours so far this afternoon. Everything seems to be working OK -- pump, skimmer, filter, etc.

I decided to test the CYA just because... I know I'm supposed to wait a week, but this is unusual, and I'm concerned. I tested the pH and FC, too.

FC: 5 (have been targeting for 5-6 range)
pH: 7.2 (was 7.5 prior to this)
CYA: 60

OK, so that seems high on the CYA, above the target level which was 40-50. This IS a sunbelt region, and the pool gets a lot of sun every day, but is this going to be too much? I'm a little freaked out about this. Is this going to cause problems? What should I do???

Thanks!

reebok said:
can you confirm how you tested the cya?
what you do is follow the chart. mine is at 70.
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
I used the CYA testing procedure in the Taylor test kit. Filled the little vial to 7 mL, added the CYA reagent to 14 mL, capped and mixed for 30 seconds, then slowly poured it into the CYA test tube until the black dot completely disappeared when held at waist level. That is the correct procedure, right? I got around 60 ppm when the dot disappeared. So, if it's at 60, I'm probably OK? Is there a chance it will go higher? I'm concerned that it all dissipated into the water so quickly.

it shouldn't matter. it sounds like you did fine, just overshot somehow. of course there is a +/- 10ppm error in the cya test.
I suppose it could go up higher, you can test again in a week and see. in the mean time I would follow the 60ppm level on the chart at minimum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.