Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool light on and off then off

1. Back To Top    #1

pool light on and off then off

I have had an on going problem with my shallow end light . its went off then on for a while then off perm. It was not the bulb . I brought in an electrician who rewired the light and it worked for a season . now its happening all over again. I am at a loss . Help !!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: pool light on and off then off

Tell us a little more about your light. Make, model, voltage, anything you know about it.

From the description it sounds like a transformer is heating up and shutting down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Conway SC

Unless its low voltage it wont have a transformer... Now could be the switch, breaker, loose connection?? I would change remove the switch and see if it stays on.. GFCI???
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

4. Back To Top    #4

i have no idea about the make of the light . But where would the gfci or transformer or anything else be ?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Well its not the GFI if the pool was wired proplerly if it's kicked all the lights in the pool will be off.

If the pool light in question can be turned on seperatly from the other lights in the pool it may be the low voltage relay that the equipment uses to turn on/off the high voltage. These relays are a moving part and offten fail. They "can" be taken apart and the connectors cleaned but generally once a relay starts sparking on its cycle it will fail again, and should be replaced.

If the pool light is only controled with the other lights on/off and it has intermitant on/off its something singular to that light, either the light it's self, blub with a weak element etc. Most likely couperate is the junction box that splits off the lights from the power comming from the control box. This is generally a round black box with a square head (looks like a hat) these damp area junction boxs have to be mounted above the water line, and may be in a planter or other soil area around the pool. Find it, and make sure those connections in the box are proper.

Hope this helps.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

If it is an american products (Pentair) light, Those have an internal heat switch that will turn the light off if it gets too hot. It may be malfunctioning. Or did you recently replace the bulb with perhaps a higher wattage? Or a globe type bulb?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.