Taking the plunge in Birmingham...

Apr 18, 2009
Birmingham, AL
After much soul searching (and wallet searching…), my wife and I have decided to take the plunge, so to speak.
We are planning an in-ground pool here in Birmingham, Alabama.

What I’m planning on is an approximately 18 x 36 IG gunite pool, ~22,000 gallons with spillover-spa and natural stone coping with SWG. I'm looking at using stamped concrete decking around the pool.

We’re planning on a maximum depth of 7 feet (no diving board) as well as a beach entry and tanning ledge.

Here are a few pics of the yard, both before and after a major tree removal in preparation for the pool. I've also attached an initial pool design by a local PB which we really like. We're still looking at different PBs though before we decide.

Any and all ideas and/or feedback are welcome. I’m completely new to this process but have been suitably impressed by the beautiful pools and backyards on this site and I hope ours comes out well too.

Attachments

• Pool1a.jpg
    Pool1a.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,545
  • IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 1,550
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 1,551
Welcome to TFP. Pool School is worth reading, a wealth of knowledge there (top of page). Purchase a good test kit, I am partial to the one in my signature TF100. List the specific's about the pool equip., plumbing, etc.,. There are alot of great people here to help you out.

Hi, Dave,

Welcome to the forum. That's a beautiful back yard for a pool. Hope you post up some pics along the way

We’re planning on a maximum depth of 7 feet (no diving board) as well as a beach entry and tanning ledge.
I built a pretty large pool and, after some contemplation, decided not to go with the diving end, either. The more we thought about it, we decided to make the pool as usable as possible so we only went 5'7" deep. It worked out well for us in that most folks can stand in the entire length except for the last 10 feet. If your 6'0" or more, you can stand in the whole thing. Food for thought.

Well, we're finally ready to break ground. As you can see, they've outlined the pool in orange paint on the backyard dirt and will start framing it on Monday (they tell me), and digging on Tuesday. We're pretty psyched. The plan is basically what I've already posted with a few minor tweaks.

Here are the specifications according what I've received from the PB:

2 Hayward skimmers
1 Jandy cartridge filter
4 custom main drains
1 Hayward Hydro-Relief valve
8 Return fittings
1 Overflow fitting
3 Hayward lights SP592 HSL 250 W
1 Jandy Aqualink PDA
1 Jandy 400K heater
SW Chlorine Generator

They mentioned another pump as well as they are putting in 3 deck jets and a bubbler in the baja shelf entry area. This baja shelf entry is in the lower righthand side of the photo. They are also doing the deck in stamped concrete.

I will post more pics as they get started.

Attachments

• PoolOutline.jpg
    PoolOutline.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,278
Bham Dave,

Congratulations on starting on your new pool build.

2 Hayward skimmers
1 Jandy cartridge filter
4 custom main drains
1 Hayward Hydro-Relief valve
8 Return fittings
1 Overflow fitting
3 Hayward lights SP592 HSL 250 W
1 Jandy Aqualink PDA
1 Jandy 400K heater
SW Chlorine Generator

They mentioned another pump as well as they are putting in 3 deck jets and a bubbler in the baja shelf entry area.

8 return fittings sounds like a lot?

I like the idea of 3 lights - I'm assuming two for the pool and one for the spa? Much better to have too many than not enough. If you have too many you can either turn that one off, or use lower wattage lights. On the other hand, if you don't have enough lights, there are no simple, cheap fixes.

I don't see a size for the Jandy cartridge filter?

I don't see any pump horsepowers either. Many builders will specify too large of horsepower on the pool pumps. Have you considered two-speed pumps or variable speed pumps for energy savings? We can't buy single speed pool motors in California any more.

Dave,

I like the design. Can't wait to see it completed.

You really should look into a variable speed pump. They save considerable amount of power. I have an IntelliFlo and for normal everyday circulation it operates at about 1/2 HP and my pool is always crystal clear.

Good Luck,

Kevin

The digging has started and was essentially completed in 2 days. They are moving a lot of dirt around behind the pool area to support the surrounding deck. You can see the baja shelf well in the first pic and the deep end (7 ft) in the other pic.

The big task it appears right now is jackhammering up the old aggregate patio to make room for the new decking. It looks good so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,048

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, still no gunite but according to the PB they should shoot it tomorrow. As you can see, we've had tons of rain lately (10x the rainfall compared to September last year) and there's already a foot of muddy water in the deep end. I imagine they'll pump that out in order to start the gunite. I read on the Diamond Brite website that the shell needs to cure for 28 days prior to DB installation. Is that right? I'll post pics once the shell is in.

Attachments

• RebarPic.jpg
    RebarPic.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 102
Well, the gunite went in today.... a few days later due to rain. Unfortunately, they were not able to complete all the gunite today due to mechanical problems (the feeding mechanism on the back of the truck broke, then later the truck broke down). It's about 80% done, I would estimate. On the plus side, it looks great so far. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Any problems you all foresee with having gunite done in two sessions? I hope there won't be a difference in the material and I trust the PB will make sure of this.

Okay, the gunite is done. Finally, the pool is taking shape. There is also a gunite retaining wall behind the spa-side of the pool as the yard slopes away from the house.

Attachments

• guniteimage.jpg
    guniteimage.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 99
  • gunitepool2.jpg
    gunitepool2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 93
  • gunitepool3.jpg
    gunitepool3.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 93
Now is a good time to discuss sealers for your natural coping with the people who provide and install the product. Also inquire as to an appropriate product for your stamped concrete. The use of a sealer is a must if you have an SWG.

The coping is now finished and I think it turned out great. They have also installed the deck jets and the equipment on the equipment pad (I'll post pics of the equipment later). What type of stone sealant have people used for flagstone? We're looking forward to getting the deck completed so our yard looks a bit more normal again.

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 97
We have water! The pool is complete. The next steps include landscaping and additional fencing but we're very happy with how it turned out. Of course, now it's too cold here to swim but next spring will be here soon.

[attachment=0:y41e07o2]IMG_5776.jpg[/attachment:y41e07o2]

[attachment=1:y41e07o2]IMG_5774.jpg[/attachment:y41e07o2]

Attachments

• IMG_5774.jpg
    IMG_5774.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5776.jpg
    IMG_5776.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 95

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.