Too much sand in new filter????

Jun 25, 2009
I installed a new Triton TR100. I added exactly what the installation instructions called for, 150# pea gravel and 450# of pool sand from our local pool distributor. The filter is doing a great job of filtering and no sand is getting into the pool until I turn off the pump for a minute or more. When I restart the pump, the filter blows about 1/2 pound of sand into the pool. I backwashed until the water is clear and then rinse until the clear inspection bubble window on the multiport looks clear too. Even after rinsing, I am getting the sand. Any ideas?? Thanks.

you most likely damaged the standpipe.. There isnt much to a sand filter besides the sand and the stand pipe... Here is a link....

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_ ... triton.htm

Did you fill the empty filter about halfway with water & add the pea gravel and new sand Slowly??
Sometimes added The new stuff too fast will crack a finger ( Lateral # 15 on the link)
#12 on the link looks like this could also be a problem. Ive never worked on this filter before but if that air hose came off.. i can see sand going right into the " out" standpipe while filter is off.

Before you go and rip the whole filter apart to check the pipe and laterals..wait and see if anyone else had a different thought..

Matt

Thanks for the reply. If my standpipe or laterals were damaged then I should be continually pumping sand into the pool. In my situation, sand is only pumped into the pool after I turn off the pump for 15 seconds or more. When I restart the pump (in Filter mode), I get about a half pound of sand and then the sand stops. I've tried backwashing and then rinsing many times but still when I first start to Filter after the backwash, I get sand in the pool and then it stops. If I ran the pump 24/7 then I wouldn't have a sand problem, but since I start and stop it with a timer, I get sand in the pool. Any ideas???????? Thanks again.

Doubt this needs mentioned but the gravel needs to go in 1st, and then the sand added. If not the gravel will just sit ontop of the sand raising the media level higher than its designed for.

Dunno if your system has a view port for back washing or not, but when you backwash does it run clear eventually or do you constantly see an amount of sand passing by? If you do your total aggregate level in the filter is to high. If it runs clear but you consistanly get sand dumping in the pool on pump cycles there is damage to the filter allowing sand to enter the pool.

I just found the problem, The air relief tube popped out of the filter intake pvc pipe that comes from the pool and that goes down to the laterals. sand was getting into the system there. A little work to fix but now I have I'd the cuplrit. :cheers:

Grats!

Be surprised what that issue does with all types of filters. They all have an air bleed generally witha screen on top.. screen fails and all of a sudded theres leaves in the t-cell, and spa's are filling up with sediment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.