Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question with new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Avon Park, FL

Question with new pool

I just got a 24' round pool that holds 13,500 Gallons. I have no chlorine in yet and I was wondering how much I need to add. I have a 1.5 gallon container of Suncoast Liquid Chlorine and was wondering how much I need to add for a startup? My results are the following:

CYA measured around 25-30 ppm right now, however I just added a 4lb bag around 8 PM last night so I might have to check it again in the morning.
    15200 Gallon, Vinyl, Cartridge Filter 100 GPM, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Middle Tennessee

Re: Question with new pool

Is that liquid chlorine 10% - 12%? If so, I'd go ahead and add half now, and the other half tomorrow night, and then switch to a small jug of bleach for a few days until your CYA completely dissolves. BTW, it can take up to a week for the CYA to fully dissolve, so I'd wait to test again for a couple of days.

The pool calculator will help you figure out what amount of chlorine you need to add to reach your target value for your given CYA level.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question with new pool

Go to the Pool Calculator

Fill out the information. It will give you the proper amounts to dose your pool.
    You should calculate the CYA as being what you have now plus what you have just added to enter what your CYA level is now. The calculator will show you what your min - max range should be for chlorine based on your CYA level.

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.