Borax, Borates, and my dog?

jwsr

Jun 20, 2009
Henderson, KY
I have had the most successful and trouble free pool summer since I started the BBB method when I replaced my liner in June!

But, I am confused about the use of borax to raise PH, (which I haven't had to do since my initial filling of my new liner) and this thing about borates. I think I understand that Borax for PH increase adds borates, but not in the amount as in with those wanting borates in the pool for other purposes. I ask because I have read that borates are dangerous to dogs that occasionally lap up pool water. When just used to increase PH, is that amount considered dangerous to dogs?

Since everyone here is using BBB, I assume some also have their pets swimming in their pool. I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

There is no risk if you are just using borax for PH. The quantities are far smaller then when adding borates to the pool. Even when using borates around 50 , your pet would need to get the great majority of their water from the pool before there would be any risk of a problem. Occasional sips of pool water should be discoraged, but aren't a problem.

You are so funny Tiz Me! Thank goodness I didn't have a mouth full of beer when reading that! :lol: I'd have to clean my screen!

My black lab swims in our pool. She is also the main reason why I have not added borates to the water just because she does get a mouthful of water when swimming. I'd just rather be safe than sorry with her and forgo borates for the time being.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.