Fixing Green Hair

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
"There is one hair product line on the market that I know of that contains these ingredients (and also EDTA, a metal chelating agent) that will work also if you don't want to 'mix your own'. It is Nexxus Aloe Rid treatment and Aloe Rid Shampoo. Apply the treatment (a green gel) to damp hair and let it sit for 5 minuts, rinse, shampoo twice with the Aloe Rid shampoo, letting each lather sit for 3-5 minues, then repeat the Aloe Rid treatment for 5 minutes. These products contain citric acid, sodium thiosulfate and EDTA and are the only ones that I have come across that will actually remove the green caused by copper. They work in exactly the same way as the formula I used to use in the salon.

Edit: The procedure for removing copper from hair was developed by the late Jheri Redding, a pioneering cosmetic chemist who started Jheri Redding Products Company, Redkin, Jhirmack, and Nexxus. He introduced many firsts into the hair care/beauty industry such as pH balanced shampoos (Redkin), subsatantive protein and nucleic acid treatments (Jheri Redding Products/Jhirmack), the technique of "curly perming" Afro-American hair (Jhirmack) , using alphahydroxy acids and enzymes in skin care (Jhirmack) , Botancals and polymers (Nexxus) and many other firsts. Nexxus is now run and owned by his son. He sold all the other companies many years ago. He stated many years ago that green hair was NOT caused by chlorine, as was commonly stated back then, but by the copper based algaecides used." - Waterbear

Well, obviously I still have copper in my water because my white dog turned green, by blond son's hair turned green, and even my daughter's blond highlights tinged green. I didn't want to spend anymore money on metal out products at this time, having wasted $60+ on it in May.

Finally, I was able to find the Nexxus Aloe Rid at Wal-mart for $5.47 a bottle, a very good price compared to online suppliers, plus no shipping costs!

Used it last night and it worked wonders! I will try it on my dog next, which he probably won't appreciate..... :lol:

Thanks Waterbear....

Actually, I've posted it on a couple of forums now. Seems that people are stil putting copper into their pools or being taken in by the ioniozer folks (Are you listenting Wendy the Water Woman?) and hair is STILL turning green! I also have the 'homebrew' formula that is used in salons that actually understand a bit of chemistry and that I used to teach to my students when I taught Barbering and Cosmetology using sodium thiosulfate and citric acid if anyone is intersted.

frustratedpoolmom said:
"There is one hair product line on the market that I know of that contains these ingredients (and also EDTA, a metal chelating agent) that will work also if you don't want to 'mix your own'. It is Nexxus Aloe Rid treatment and Aloe Rid Shampoo. Apply the treatment (a green gel) to damp hair and let it sit for 5 minuts, rinse, shampoo twice with the Aloe Rid shampoo, letting each lather sit for 3-5 minues, then repeat the Aloe Rid treatment for 5 minutes. These products contain citric acid, sodium thiosulfate and EDTA and are the only ones that I have come across that will actually remove the green caused by copper. They work in exactly the same way as the formula I used to use in the salon.

Edit: The procedure for removing copper from hair was developed by the late Jheri Redding, a pioneering cosmetic chemist who started Jheri Redding Products Company, Redkin, Jhirmack, and Nexxus. He introduced many firsts into the hair care/beauty industry such as pH balanced shampoos (Redkin), subsatantive protein and nucleic acid treatments (Jheri Redding Products/Jhirmack), the technique of "curly perming" Afro-American hair (Jhirmack) , using alphahydroxy acids and enzymes in skin care (Jhirmack) , Botancals and polymers (Nexxus) and many other firsts. Nexxus is now run and owned by his son. He sold all the other companies many years ago. He stated many years ago that green hair was NOT caused by chlorine, as was commonly stated back then, but by the copper based algaecides used." - Waterbear

Well, obviously I still have copper in my water because my white dog turned green, by blond son's hair turned green, and even my daughter's blond highlights tinged green. I didn't want to spend anymore money on metal out products at this time, having wasted $60+ on it in May.

Finally, I was able to find the Nexxus Aloe Rid at Wal-mart for $5.47 a bottle, a very good price compared to online suppliers, plus no shipping costs!

Used it last night and it worked wonders! I will try it on my dog next, which he probably won't appreciate..... :lol:

Thanks Waterbear....

Shame this didn't happen back in March - your pooch would be a big hit with the St. Paddy's day crowd.. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.