How to convince your SO or others that BBB is safe

sgtdvldog

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Blue Springs, MO
How can you convince your Wife, GF, Husband, BF, etc. that BBB is safe?

I have brought up using Bleach to my GF and she freaks out thinking it would be bad for the pool and offers to pay for the Pool Store Chemicals.

She talked to her mom, who had a pool years ago and her mom said that bleach would harden the liner.

I've also heard people say that it will bleach the liner.

I've tried explaining that Bleach has the same Chlorine in it, but at a lower concentration as Liquid Chlorine that you get at the pool stores. I've tried explaining that if the amount of bleach in the pool would be lower concentrations than in the washer..etc etc but none of it is getting through... :hammer:

ANY form of chlorine can bleach the liner if you just dump it in the pool.

Any form of chlorine OTHER than bleach/liquid will add other stuff to the pool that will eventually become a problem. Dichlor/trichlor add CYA, cal-hypo adds calcium.

If you can get liquid chlorine from the pool store, ask them to compare the ingredients to bleach. Ask them what is the difference. If the difference is that the LC comes from the pool store and bleach doesn't, then they are using "magical thinking" and there is basically nothing you can do about it.
--paulr

BBB is not for everyone. There are many, many people who refuse to learn. If GF is amenable, she should read the forum and get the picture. Chances are she will not as she appears convinced that spending money at the pool store works better.

I guess since I've read the site, it seems so obvious to me, so I might have her read the site.

If I can find liquid chlorine, I guess I'll compromise on that. I am just tired of throwing my money away guessing. I want to be able to just add chlorine when I need it, not stuff with CYA, Calcium, etc.

I kinda started this thread to see if anyone else has had these problems when starting out with BBB and to have a repositories for counters to these objections.

I haven't had that particular problem; my wife is happy to let me be the pool dude.

There is somebody at work who occasionally complains about his persistent algae. I sent a link to this site but I don't know if he followed it up. Because it's not my pool and I need to work with the guy, I don't want to push too hard.
--paulr

I've taken a bottle of pool store liquid chlorine, and a bottle of bleach, and keeped the labels. So when they freak out, I show them the ingredients of the two, and sometimes they calm down. Most of the time they don't. If it keeps ignorant people out of my pool, I'm fine with that. I'm in it, and enjoying it! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sgtdvldog said:

I have brought up using Bleach to my GF and she freaks out thinking it would be bad for the pool and offers to pay for the Pool Store Chemicals.

She talked to her mom, who had a pool years ago and her mom said that bleach would harden the liner.

I've tried explaining that Bleach has the same Chlorine in it, but at a lower concentration as Liquid Chlorine that you get at the pool stores. I've tried explaining that if the amount of bleach in the pool would be lower concentrations than in the washer..etc etc but none of it is getting through... :hammer:
Perhaps if you point out that the pool store chemical (meaning trichlor) only appeared on the market in the 60's and before that bleach was used so it actually has a longer track record and fewer side effects. Short of enrolling her in a chemistry course so she can learn that chlorine is chlorine not much else really works.

Here is a service bulliten from the Clorox professional website:
http://cloroxprofessional.com/pdf/servicebulletin.pdf
It lists the uses and recommended doses for sanitizing. It includes use in a swimming pool for water sanitizing since it is EPA approved for that usage (about halfway down).
The only real difference between Clorox professional and the consumer bleach is the inclusion of an additive (sodium polyacrylate) to keep dirt from redepositing on clothes in the wash but this particular additive is also used as a swimming pool clarifier so it will not really have any adverse effects in a pool. Other brands ofbleach do not include this additive so they are the same as Clorox Professional.

If you look on the PAN product info (pesticide database, remember that all swimming pools sanitizers are considered pesticides) for Clorox bleach
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... 67619#Uses
it lists registered uses and pool and spa water sanitizer.

Likewise, if you look at this listing
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... _NR=085701
it is for a pool chlorine but the label lists it as liqiude chlorine bleach.

sgtdvldog said:

Try a visual demonstration.... find out what volume of water the washing machine uses on a large load and calculate using the Pool Calculator how much bleach you would add to bring that up to 3 ppm or whatever your mid-range target is. For example, assuming a 30 gallon washer with a full load, you'd add 2 teaspoons of bleach to get it to 5 ppm.

Then, go to the EPA site or Google "bleach to disinfect drinking water" to find "If you can't boil water, you can disinfect it using household bleach. Bleach will kill some, but not all, types of disease-causing organisms that may be in the water. If the water is cloudy, filter it through clean cloths or allow it to settle, and draw off the clear water for disinfection. Add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon of water, stir it well and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Store disinfected water in clean containers with covers. Notice that 1/8 teaspoon of bleach in one gallon is 3.75 teaspoons of bleach in 30 gallons..... which is MORE than you are using in your pool.

All I have to say is THANK GOD DH leaves the pool to me. He has yet to raise an eye brow at the pool's bleach consumption but I did have someone call my crystal clear pool water "chemical soup" on another forum. That is quite okay with me because I had our resident chemist behind me, who doesn't own a pool, telling the woman that all the stuff I'm using is just a cheaper version of what the pool store sells without all the fancy packaging and high prices. :mrgreen: It's all some form of hypochlorite, it just doesn't add to the CYA or Calcium! :wink:

I can honestly say, I'm more satisfied with the bleach than with any other product I've ever used. :goodjob:

Simple solution: Just do it! Don't tell her - just use the bleach and after she's swam in it a few times and noticed NO stinky bleach smell and oolala water, THEN tell her!!

My DH was aghast the first time I brought it up. But he relented quickly and easily after I showed him that bleach from Wally World had less junk in it than the pool powders!

Hubby seemed a bit concerned when I first started talking about buying my chemicals in the laundry & paint dept of the stores, instead of the pool supply area. He's still a bit at a loss for how it's all going to work, but I plan to show him the "pool store" chemicals in comparison to other store detergents and chemicals...

I'm all about frugal living, and if it's the healthier, easier way to go... it's all the better! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.