Upgrading Intex AGP with Sand Filter/Pump Kit - Which One?

Jul 20, 2009
S. California
Hello Everybody!

First let me say that I am having the most enjoyable time reading about all of your experiences here at TFP ! I've learned a great deal too. Thanks!

So, the Intex AGP is a huge hit with my kiddies and is getting very heavy use from them and every kid in a 5 mile radius that is now visiting to swim. After reading about and seeing first hand how dismal the "1500 GPH" filter/pump is that came with the unit, I have decided to change it out. I particularly like the many combo pump/sand filter units that are available for an AGP.

The Hayward in particular seems to have alot of fans and a reputation for success combined with readily available parts if needed. I'm leaning this way if I can find one on Craigs List, Ebay, etc... But I'm open to suggestions about other brands too.

After reading here on the board it would appear that a unit with a 3/4 HP motor and a 16" sand filter may be the right size for my humble watering hole.

What say you?

That's a big motor for a small filter,
Still that is the way you do it in the U.S.

Slower filtering is better filtering. Too higher flow and you simply cut chanels through the sand and then you are not filtering very much at all.

my vote for your size pool is a 0.5hp or 0.75hp hayward superpump or pentair superflo and a 20"-22" sand filter like a S220T. If you go the 22" route it would be ample to filter your next abg pool, if you decide to upgrade down the road.

I'm biased since that is what I use on my ABG pool, but the the set-up has served me well and the 0.5hp pump has no problem pushing through my solarbear heater and intex swg.

Hi Guys:

And thanks for the additional feedback :goodjob:

I'm drawn to the complete packaged systems just because of the ease of set-up. However, most all of the Hayward filter/pump systems come with a 1HP Power Flo pump, and I don't see any listed that are 3/4 or 1/2 HP. I agree that a lower HP pump would be preferable, but mainly for power consumption.

I will consider building or assembling my own system but would really prefer to buy a total package solution if there is a good fit available.

If any of you have a model # example that would be a huge help. Otherwise I continue to search craig's list, ebay, etc... for ideas. Spending 4-500 bucks is also a little pricey for a new Hayward system so I'm hoping to find a bargain!
If I could find something for say $250 or less that would be perfect.

Times are tough ya know :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.