sand/dead algea in bottom of pool?

been 2 days with the sock on the skimmer basket and it rained today...
clean as a whistle.. so it's defenitly not a water surface issue
bottom filled up with dusty stuff again and pool pump has been running 12hrs a day
tomorrow will probably shock

This is why your own test kit would be handy, you can perform an overnight loss test and determine if this is an organic situation that does require shocking, or if it's just sand/dust that the filter doesn't seem to be able to catch.

helpmeplease said:
Just backwashed and pressure guage was reading 20... after several minutes and alot of green stuff beeing backwashed through the looking glass valve, then rinsed the guage is now reading 18... backwashed some more and re-rinsed but the guage maintains a reading of around 18psi. When pump is off it reads 8psi and when the filter turns on it jumps right back to 18. Could this be of any help for diagnosing a possible filter failure?
BTW, the surface water is clean and clear and I do live in a heavily wooded area.

Your pressure guage needs to be replaced. When the pump is off, it should read zero.

Did you
......rig a nylon stocking to fit over the return flow and see what is coming back thru the return, if it is a filtration issue.
...as suggested by FPM?

Just a thougt too...

HelpmePlease, do you have a ladder or steps in pool that need counter weighting to hold steps down. I used a jug of sand last year and after about half the summer it began to leak...I did get some sand in the pool from that. Do you have a sand bag under a ladder as some pool companies suggest? That may be your cause too if you have this situation. Just a thought.

Good day friends,
It's been a week since I shocked the pool to a chlorine level of 10pm.
Since then, the water cleared up a few days ago and the dark dusty sandy stuff on the floor of the pool went away but yesterday and today I observed a return of dusty sandy stuff but this time unstead of beeing a dark colour, it's white! It forms in patches all around the floor in circular manner just like in my previous photos but instead of dark, it's white! I'll brush it around and see if it comes back...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
helpmeplease said:
Good day friends,
It's been a week since I shocked the pool to a chlorine level of 10pm.
Since then, the water cleared up a few days ago and the dark dusty sandy stuff on the floor of the pool went away but yesterday and today I observed a return of dusty sandy stuff but this time unstead of beeing a dark colour, it's white! It forms in patches all around the floor in circular manner just like in my previous photos but instead of dark, it's white! I'll brush it around and see if it comes back...

might be dead algae...vacuume it out...and see if it comes back.

Here are some photos from this morning. I brushed it around yesterday and reappeared this morning. I feel that it accumulates when the pump is running.
Will vacuum today.

edit: i forgot to mention yesterday that stuff was alot whiter than today, looks darker

Almost surely you have algae.

Posting a full set of test results will help.

Have you read Pool School on the correct way to shock your pool? It is a process that can take a few days.....not a one time dose.

Bob_Funk said:
Please post you CYA level

Just verifyed this morning and the pump did not run overnight and there absolutely NO accumulation. Is that because the cholrine levels stay hight at night or simply because my theory is that my filter needs replacing and is not trapping dirt when it runs.
How quickly can algea form? Yesterday when I brush it around when the pump was running, it dissapears in a cloudy form and les than 30 minutes later it's dropped to the bottom again in the same form as my photos. I didn't have time to vacuum yesterday.

Did you do an overnight test to confirm that the algae is indeed dead? You did have an algae issue, what's not clear now is if it is all killed off, and what you are seeing is the residual, as a result of a filter issue. That's not clear. It may be just the filter isn't working very well at this point, or the algae is not all dead and could come roaring back.

So confirm if you did an overnight FC test with an FAS-DPD test.

I performed a overnight FC test. The level at sundown was 3 and this morning was at 2.7
Is that a sufficiant enough drop to declare a algea problem? For the record in previous summers, I never held such a high chlore level, always at 1 with a trouble free pool :cool: .
Furthermore, how quickly does algea form visibly? I've reported before that when the stuff was brushed around it would just reform, probably by falling back in the cracks with time. This morning, there was no sings of anything on the floor or in any cracks and the pump did not run over night.

By the way, I'd like to extend my gratitue to everyone who has posted with tips and feedback towards my situation. :goodjob:

helpmeplease said:
I performed a overnight FC test. The level at sundown was 3 and this morning was at 2.7
Is that a sufficiant enough drop to declare a algea problem? For the record in previous summers, I never held such a high chlore level, always at 1 with a trouble free pool :cool: .
Furthermore, how quickly does algea form visibly? I've reported before that when the stuff was brushed around it would just reform, probably by falling back in the cracks with time. This morning, there was no sings of anything on the floor or in any cracks and the pump did not run over night.

By the way, I'd like to extend my gratitue to everyone who has posted with tips and feedback towards my situation. :goodjob:

No it is not a significant loss overnight. If it were a loss of 1.0 ppm or more than I would say it would be. If you were loosing more than 1.0 ppm FC your chlorine would still be killing organics. Since you only had a .3 ppm FC loss that would be considered a nominal loss. If you are still getting the stuff at the bottom of the pool I would stick a skimmer sock on your skimmer basket, and that would trap 90 % of that junk, if you have already put a skimmer sock on then vaccume that stuff off the bottom and see if it still forms. Skimmer sock should make a definite decline in the amount that gets to the bottom of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.