What can I say but THANK GOODNESS I FOUND THIS SITE!!!
We built our pool 5 years ago and only started having problems toward the end of last season. By problems I mean lots of stubborn green algae. I've been attending your Pool School and am now taking matters in my own hands.
My test results from yesterday (pool store test):
Adj. TA 72
After some good and bad advice from Pool Store Lady I went home, cleaned the filter, then added 4 lb baking soda, 16 oz muriatic acid, and 5 bags calcium hypo shock.
Today my water is water-colored (not green!) and only slightly cloudy. I do believe I'm on my way to a TFP! I have read a lot but I have a few questions.
My dinky test kit tests for "chlorine residual." Is that the same as total chlorine? Today it is off the chart (above 3.0) as expected. My pH is 7.6 and my TA (1st time I ever used this test) is 60. I wonder how accurate these tests are.
Brings me to my next problem: ordering the TF100 test kit. When I go to order on the tftestkits site it doesn't let me enter my payment info. Are other people having this problem? Is there another site that sells this kit?
My test from yesterday says TA 95 and Adjusted TA 72. What does this mean, adjusted?
My CYA was 76, is that a little high? Because I used to shock with 3 bags of dichlor but this season 6 bags wasn't enough. Also I used trichlor tablets; now should I switch to liquid chlorine so I don't raise the CYA any higher?
The lady said I need to add calcium because we have a water softener and don't get enough calcium. I thought if I use calcium hypo for awhile it would help with that. How important is it to raise my calcium?
The most helpful thing the lady said was to clean the filter with a pressure washer. I got gunk out of that thing that must have been in there through many cleanings with the hose! I just hope it's not too hard on the filter with repeated cleanings.
My most important concern is regarding safety. I won't use algaecides because I don't understand what is in them and therefore don't want them on my kids. When the pool store tells me something is safe I am usually skeptical, considering they're selling it, and considering that most people use household toxic chemicals without giving it a thought.
I was always told not to swim unless the chlorine level is 3.0 or lower. Now I know this "chlorine residual" is not necessarily the same as FC. Which one has to be below 3.0? Also I was told if you can smell the chlorine it's too high to swim. Is this a myth? Now that the pool's pretty we want to have a pool party asap.
Bear with me while I'm learning all this - I was not a chem major in college!