Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on pool cleaner

I have a 17.5 by 36.5 oval and I'm considering buying a pool cleaner. I have read the article in pool school but it is a generalization and I don't even know where to begin. When we bought the house, one of the returns was rigged for a polararis I think. There was a separate pump that was burned out for it. Since everything needed an overhaul, we just got rid of it, and tied that return line into the rest of the system. My pool now has 3 returns in the pool, with one being a little more powerfull than the other 2. My backyard faces due south and is in full sun all day. I have no trees on my property except for 2 fruit trees in the back. I have no problems with sticks, acorns, or leaves in the pool. My problem is grass. I get some dirt that blows in but a good once a week vacuum is good enough. However the grass drives me crazy. When I mow the lawn, I ALWAYS get grass in the pool. It's not just that day either, it keeps blowing in over a few day. I get these clumps of grass in the deep end. I have to get out the hand vacuum and suck them up before we go swimming or else our stirring up the water sends grass floating everywhere.

Other than grass, my pool stays very clean (quite a few bugs too, but whatever). I'm thinking suction cleaner is all I would need. I don't need a super fast cleaner, just one that is easiest to put in, let it do it's job and than take it out with little hassle. I'm worried my pool my be too big for a suction cleaner. I'm just tired of dealing with an extention pole. My pump is 1.5 hp hayward super pump.

Just curious to what others use, and what brands are good.
    20k inground vinyl oval, Hayward super pump 1.5 HP, Pacvac 36 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator, Brand new liner 2009. 1st pool ever owned.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on pool cleaner

Dumb question, probably, but do you use a bag on the mower? At least for the strip or two next to the pool deck?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not a dumb question, and I forgot to add that part of it. I have a huge yard, so I have a riding mower. I don't have a grass collector, but it's a mulching mower. After I cut the grass, you don't see the grass clippings, but the wind blows them around I guess and within hours I start noticing clumps on the bottom. You also notice small pieces covering the surface. They sink rather quickly forming the clumps. I think a auto cleaner is cheaper than the bagger accessory for the mower, plus it's better for the lawn to mulch the clippings.
    20k inground vinyl oval, Hayward super pump 1.5 HP, Pacvac 36 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator, Brand new liner 2009. 1st pool ever owned.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

You might look into a Zodiac Baracuda. I have a Zodiac Ranger for my above ground that I have been very happy with. The only problems I have are when it gets stuck on my ladder or an acorn prevents the diaphragm from flexing.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!